icon

How to Upgrade the Big Three

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

still_walkin, you ideally want to fuse the alt. to batt. positive. This protects the wire and essentially your car from fire in the case of collision near the front of the vehicle. You want to use a fuse that is the maximum rating of the wire, 8g-75amps; 4g-150amps; etc... As for the ground, use an ohmeter and check for the path of least resistance from batt. to frame, frame to block, etc...

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
goser 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
98 Blazer, looking into the upgrade I have 3 wires from my battery negative--One to the engine, one to body, and one to the chassis.  Then there's a ground strap from the firewall which I presume runs down to the engine as well.  How should I go about upgrading these?  I have my amp grounded to the body in the back.
yanki01 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Im doing the Big3 since i already have a decent 2 amp system and about to change it out for an equaveliant 2 amp system along with an HID retro with a relay so i know ill need this.

I made out a little picture for mine just to double check....

on the grounds i have one comming from the negative which im sure every1 has. Would it be ok to use the same grounding points that the OEM negative ground has for the ground comming from the engine block? Thanks for the help! BTW- i have a Scion tC.

yanki01 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
woah, dont know what happened there? How to Upgrade the Big Three - Page 9 -- posted image.
yanki01 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
anyone?
dk77 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
the12volt wrote:

Great post DYohn. Thanks for posting this. Here are a couple of tips and opinions I would like to add.

...I also find it better to use an analog meter for this purpose since analog meters allow you to "zero out" the meter to accommodate for the much longer than usual test leads needed to make such measurements and eliminate the resistance added by the extended test leads from your readings which provides you with a more accurate measurement and a zero ohm starting point. Doing this, you will see resistance levels much closer to zero than you will with digital meters without this "zero out" feature...

Sorry to join in this thread so late.  This is an excellent tip about zeroing (relative zero) longer sets of meter leads.  I use a Fluke 87V, and it has a "REL" button for zeroing out meter leads.  Place the leads together and press the button.  The only disadvantage is that it will take the meter out of AUTO function, but that's no biggie. 

hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

jt824 wrote:
So when upgrading the big three I am adding wiring to the existing 3 locations and leaving the factory wiring intact correct?

That's the way I describe it, yes. You CAN replace the OEM wiring if you choose as long as you use large enough gauge to supply the normal vehicle loads PLUS the sound system load.

I just joined, so I am a newbie to everyone here...
Here is my situation. The battery has been relocated to the trunk. I am running 1/0 to the trunk for power on the driver side. My Alternator is on the passenger side.
so my questions are:
1. do I run 4 gauge or, what is the minimum I can run to my power mount point in the engine bay?
2. Can I also run another ground from my alternator to the motor, if so what gauge must I run. Should it match the powers size gauge?
3. This may not be in the scope of this post, but I have multiple grounds on the motor in the engine bay, will this cause engine noise?
thanks,
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
wopaim 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2007 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

OMG OMG and OMG.  i did the BIG 3 wire upgrade and all i can say is WOW.  My voltage increased by a couple of tenths, the deep bass notes sound a little stronger, highs and mids sound a little fuller and richer, and you guys may laugh and maybe its just me but my truck seems to run stronger.  i took some voltage readings before at stock then wire upgrade then wire+optima.

stock:                                 truck idling 13.6v   -  idling with stereo cranked using test tone CD 12.6 (lowest drop)

wire upgrade:                  truck idling 14V      -  idling with stereo cranked using test tone CD 12.9 (lowest drop)

wire upgrade+ optima:  truck idling 14v      -  idling with stereo cranked using test tome CD 12.9 (lowest drop)

I had planned on doing this years ago but put it off and put it off.  i'm glad i finally got around to it.  i dont know why this isnt taught as the most important and fundamental upgrade to do regardless of aftermarket stereo or not.

if you havent done this yet i suggest you do.  i dont know how much the wire upgrade alone cost but it was under 100 bucks probably more like 60. 

notaken 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I upgraded grounds with 0 gage and power with 4 gage.
One issue.
Upon upgrading the grounds I have a MASSIVE increase in voltage :-)
This is a 96 isuzu rodeo.
However, I just added the positive alternator to Batter positive.
Before this wire, voltage was high, I could turn on the headlights and voltage stayed the same.
Now, I turn on the headlights and voltage drops to 12 volts for about 1.5 seconds, then kicks up back to 14.
I have a feeling that adding the wire from alt pos to battery pos is not good for the car but may be for the stereo. With this new wire, the alternator has a delay before it detects the voltage drop or something.... Any idea/truth to my thoughts?
gmfan09 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
I upgraded two of the three today but I could not find one of them. Engine block to the chassis was the one I could not find. Is it supposed to be from the alternator case to the chassis or the engine block cause there is only one wire coming from my alternator? I'm confused. Should there be an improvement by just upgradeing the alt to the positive batt and the neg batt to the chassis?
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic