the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

What to look for when buying an EQ

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Buying and EQ. I will be removing my X-Over because its not doing it for me. I want more control and I want it up front with me. I know I will need front, Rear and Sub in/outs. I want contol is the main thing. What should I look for and what models should I look at?
Thanks
Wade
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well, a x-over is entirely different than eq. They serve two different purposes.

You can add an eq along with your x-over, as the x-over is necessary.

But the real question is why the need for an eq in the first place?

geauxtigers 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

What do you guys have against EQ's? : )

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
We don't have anything against EQ's.  A lot of the time it isn't necessary for most people though.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Walkercustoms 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
I have the MA X-Over and it is just a pain in the ass to work with. We installed a systme and the guy had an old eq and it was a lot easier to work with and dial in then my x-over. Plus it is a flush mount x-over and I would like a din mount so I can form it in the front along with the HU.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

cross overs should be set and left alone, and for that matter eq's as well. You tune your system once (hopefully using a RTA) and then leave it.

It sounds like their are other problems here, aside from what an eq will solve.

What do you feel an eq will solve?

Walkercustoms 
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
That I do understand and putting that way you are right I should not have to really adjust anything but my sub. I run SPLs and the system I quess is fine. I don't know it just seemed that I got alot more out of the system with the EQ then I did with my system with the X-Over. They system is fine I just want more crisper highs and I am just not getting that from the X-Over and was woundering if I will get that with say a 11-band EQ. I hear the changes when adjusting the X-Over but, heard a lot more change in fq with the EQ. I guess I should just get one and play around with it I understand I may be compareing apples to oranges but, I have never will sat down and messed with an EQ. I was at the local show over the weekend and several guys were just running EQs and when I ask questions none of them could really give me an answer why the were.
Thanks
Wade
dwarren 
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

I feel eq's are used to fine tune systems, they are the last thing to add. They will only do so much.

So if you have the money and time, go for it, but just don't expect too much, especially those in dash units as they are rather limited. Have a look at the Audio Control products, real eq's that are worth while.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

With a decent mix of equipment:  head unit, amplifiers and drivers...most systems will have the crossovers they need, and the fine adjustments can be done using the HU.  The problem with planning a system with the addition of an EQ is that there is a preconception that the EQ will take the sound up to another level.  So, there is an inherent reliance on the EQ to perform this "upgrade".  This preconceived notion that the EQ must perform a vital task may lead to a less-than-stellar setup of the equipment on hand.

But if the system components were chosen for all the right reasons:  how you want to listen to the music, compatiblilty with each other, features in and of themselves...the system should be able to be set up to a highly refined level.  It is only after the setup, after lengthy listening and sometimes sophisticated testing, that an EQ should be considered to correct flaws that can't be overcome with the installed gear.  The reason for the EQ should be that the automobile environment needs some correction, not that the gear that you installed needs help.  You can only find the need for environment correction after the system is installed and tuned to its highest ability, and the listening/testing is done.

If you are at the point where you have determined that an EQ could be of additional value, look at the parametric equalizers over the graphic variety for a greater control over the sound.  Once the EQ is set, it remains as long as the system hasn't been changed.  So, controls do not need to be near your driving position.  HERE'S one reference of many that can be found with a google search.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dwarren 
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

With a decent mix of equipment:  head unit, amplifiers and drivers...most systems will have the crossovers they need, and the fine adjustments can be done using the HU.  The problem with planning a system with the addition of an EQ is that there is a preconception that the EQ will take the sound up to another level.  So, there is an inherent reliance on the EQ to perform this "upgrade".  This preconceived notion that the EQ must perform a vital task may lead to a less-than-stellar setup of the equipment on hand.

But if the system components were chosen for all the right reasons:  how you want to listen to the music, compatiblilty with each other, features in and of themselves...the system should be able to be set up to a highly refined level.  It is only after the setup, after lengthy listening and sometimes sophisticated testing, that an EQ should be considered to correct flaws that can't be overcome with the installed gear.  The reason for the EQ should be that the automobile environment needs some correction, not that the gear that you installed needs help.  You can only find the need for environment correction after the system is installed and tuned to its highest ability, and the listening/testing is done.

If you are at the point where you have determined that an EQ could be of additional value, look at the parametric equalizers over the graphic variety for a greater control over the sound.  Once the EQ is set, it remains as long as the system hasn't been changed.  So, controls do not need to be near your driving position.  HERE'S one reference of many that can be found with a google search.

Are you questioning me?                                                  What to look for when buying an EQ -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic