icon

louder, truck or car?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokinsmitty 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
ok lets say u have the exact same system! same box and everything but one setup is in a truck and one set up is in a 4dr car with the fold down back seats. who's set up will be louder and hit harder?
1 15" Memphis Mojo,
Memphis 16-mc1000D amp,
Audiopipe 4gauge mp kit, Pioneer DEH4700MP head unit.
2002 Yamaha 660R Raptor
Yamaha FZR600 crotch rocket
Sea Doo XP800
Sea Doo Spi
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

car...

i had 3 12 infinity kappa perfects with a jbl 1200.1bp amp and when i had my 1996 honda accord i was at 139 db and when i moved all the equipment to my 2000 chevrolet s10 (same box, same amp, same subs) it was 136 db, but seemed louder to the ear....weird how it works but thats the way it is.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
t-roy81 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
ive got a friend with two kicker L7's like '04s i think, and another friend with 2 L7s '05s, ones in a crown vic, and the others in a ford explorer,the vic has a soundstream 2000 rms mono amp, and the explorer has 2 MA audio amps at like 900rms each, both have the exact same box. the power differance isnt very much, but the explorer hits, if i had to guess, 6 decibles harder, how could that be, both have 1/0 gauge wire with 5 farads of cap.
Oh Man Theres Troy
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
hatchbacks and SUVs usually hit harder because the vehicle acts as an enclosure and there is less restriction in sound waves to reach the front.
t-roy81 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
well ok but right above it says a truck hits less then his car????? that is why im confused
Oh Man Theres Troy
ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
a ford explorer is not a truck.
t-roy81 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
i wasnt getting nasty man, cmon... but in an explorer there is also no restriction on the sound waves correct?
Oh Man Theres Troy
ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2006 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
a pickup (regular cab) doesnt carry sound well inside the cab because of the airflow restrictions (back of the seat). an SUV or hatchback echoes the sound and helps generate DBs.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

A buddy of mine had 2 DD 12's (3500 series) 2 crossfire 1600D's 2 Memphis coax (multisynce) H.O. alt. 2 batteries.

The subs were in a 9 cubic foot box in the bed.. with a cut thru, and a tonaue cover 153.6db.....

A 94 mazda standard cab...... cars are louder than trucks....where do you put a 9 cubic foot box in ANY car?

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

What if the truck isn't a regular cab and it is an extended cab truck or a full-cab? I definitely think it would be louder then. I know this is probably a little impractical to most people's situations, but it's just an example.

In SPL, when you hear of someone taking out the back seats and putting a wall of speakers in their vehicle. You don't hear about them putting the wall way in the back do you? Of course not, because that would be pointless! They would put the wall right behind the driver and passenger seats. This is kind of the same idea I would think for a truck. (excluding the reg. cab of course) With the speakers right behind the seats with the CORRECT setup I would think it would be louder in a truck.

The reasons for the loss in db stated above could be a number of things. My first guess would be this. He said he took it from a car and put it in a truck, with the same exact amplifier, subwoofers, and enclosure. Well, he originally setup his system to be played in the car he had. When he switched vehicles the setup could  have possibly been hindered. (in this case a loss of 3 db) If he was to change enclosures he could possibly make up that lost 3 db, and might even be able to yeild an increase in db. Many other factors could have played their part in this loss of db, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

I've heard a lot of hatchback style vehicles as well as SUV's. In fact, some of the loudest systems I've heard were in a hatchback, but then again I've never had a friend that went all out on a truck.... I'll soon change that!lol! louder, truck or car? -- posted image. I set my goals high, and right now I'm working on a pretty impossible task. I'm aiming to compete in SPL with only one ten inch subwoofer in a truck. Sounds crazy, but I think I might just be able to hit the 140 db mark. (I'm hoping for higher than that, but lets not push it!) Anything is possible these days, right?

I understand the effect a hatchback and SUV give on a sub. The echo thing is very true, but if the setup is right, and only if the setup is right, I think a system might just be capable of hitting harder in a truck. I always say, setup is everything. The brand doesn't matter at all if the setup is incorrect! It's all about the setup. With the correct setup in mind, I think the truck would be the winner. Then again, I own a truck, so did you actually think I was going to go with the car? louder, truck or car? -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic