icon

alpine mrd-1005 for type r?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dandrade 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
like the title says would the alpine mono mrd-1005 be a good match for 1 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil type r (so a 2 ohm load when wired parallel)? not too much power?  may sound like a stupid question but its better to ask a stupid question then blow sumthing up haha
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I dunno, that's quite a bit of power for that sub. I think the Alpine MRP-M650 or Alpine MRD-M605 would be better matches for it.
adix5689 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
What model type r's do you have. The older type r's (swr-1241d) can only handle 300watts rms and I think between 800- 100 watts peak .  The new swr-1242d can handle 500 watts rms and 1500 watts peak. Your best bet if you have one 1242d type r sub is to buy another one. If you wire  two 1242d type r ' s  so that there is a 2ohm load the alpine mrd-1005 would be giving out about 500watts rms to each sub.
dandrade 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Its the new ones with 1500 wats peak 500 watts rms.....Is there any way I could make the mrd-1005 run at a lower power to power the one sub util I decide to add on later? Or do you reccoment going for a less poerful amp....the new mrp m650 looks interesting
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, you can, and that's a way to take advantage of the dual voice coil configuration of that subwoofer.  The amp will power a load at 2 ohms and at any load higher (even though the manual says 2 or 4 ohms).  Look at the specified output into a 4 ohm load:  700 watts X 1.  Ohm's Law tells you that if you increase the impedance of the load by double, the power will be decreased by half.  Into an 8 ohm load, the power output would be 350 watts X 1.

You can series-wire your DVC sub to an 8 ohm impedance and connect it to the MRD-M1005 for a power output of 350 watts.  When you later add another of the same sub to the system (if this is what you meant by "decide to add on later"), you would wire the second sub the same as the first and then combine them in parallel to make a 4 ohm load on the amp.  The power output, then, to each sub would be 350 watts.

See https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dandrade 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
I was told by an online assistant at crutchfield that by turning the gain control on the amp way down that I would be able to run it at two ohms load, any thoughts on this?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

Why would you purposely mismatch the amp's power curve to the deck's volume, and then run a lower impedance load on the amp (which causes the amp to produce an inferior product than it would produce at a higher impedance load)...when you could instead legitimately control the power output by making the impedance load higher?

An amplifier makes the same amount of power regardless of how it's matched to the deck output.  The gain is the matching tool.  Properly set, it matches the output of the amp to the size of the input signal from the deck, resulting in the highest possible signal-to-noise ratio.  The wrong gain setting in either direction will cause an inferior musical product.  Set too low (at an expected higher input voltage), the noise in the signal is higher than it should be.  Also there is the very real byproduct of the user having the tendency to turn the deck volume up past it's own clipping point, which, along with the higher noise, sends a clipped signal through the amplifier to the speakers.  Gain set too high, the amplifier usually clips the signal all by itself. 

If you absolutely HAVE to get 500 watts out of that amp now, and 1000 watts later, you will need to use a change of subwoofers to achieve that goal.  Use the amplifier's output ratings @ impedance loads to figure out what subwoofer, or combination of subs, you will need to use.  That is to say, adjust the impedance load, not the gain, to achieve your goal.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
The guy on line at Crotchouttolunchinthefield is wrong. A amp makes the same amount of power regardless of where the gain is set. This is way too big of an amp to drive one sub. If you are going to be adding a identical sub in the future then use this amp and wire it the way Stevdart recommends.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't he be fine if he set his gain PERFECTLY?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
No, 2 ohms is 2 ohms is 2 ohms. If the amp makes 1000w rms at 2 ohms, how is this any different than 2 ohms with the gain turned perfect? The sheer amount of excess power going into this sub will cause massive overheating of the voicecoils, end result is a new sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic