remote start, manual transmission

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mixael-17 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hi there,

I am trying to install a Remote start on a manual tranny for my 1989 Ford Mustang GT.  Basically I need help in figuring out how to bypass the clutch or how to detect if the car is left in gear so the remote start won't be activated if it is left in gear. Is there such a relay that can detect this? If so how and where would it be install?. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mixael Amaya
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
You need a neutral saftey switch
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
corey497 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

This is how ive done it (but not in in a mustang) with one 4 pole relay assuming theres no factory security system..

On my quote system, the only way to start my truck is for the alarm to be disarmed and the parking brake either set or pushed far enough to have the "PARK"  idiot light on. And even if by chance one of the kids knocks it into gear in this condition the parking brake will hold it still.

First you need to find out what wires are what at your clutch petal if you have the clutch petal starter kill.

Now on my system, the parking brake has to ground to get the "PARK" brake light on and my alarm has a hot when _DIS_armed wire on it..

Now when the alarm is off (wire hot) and the parking brake is set (ground) the relay is closed (allowing a circuit to pass threw it) which in this case is to start the car. How the relay is wired:

Input side: igniton start _AND_ remote start wire

Ouput side: to starter soilenoid (the wires that were cut/taken from clutch petal)

Positve trigger: alarm wire that is hot while alarm is _DIS_ armed

Negitive/ground: parking brake wire to idot light on dash

So if your buddy parks it somewere and leaves it in gear and hits the remote start:

#1 its in gear, parking brake not set, it wont start

#2 its in gear and parking brake is set, as soon as the remote start tries to start it, it will notice a heavy power draw, because the starter trying to move the car, and it will stop the remote start

hope this helps  remote start, manual transmission -- posted image.

audiophd 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Use Peripheral's part number NSS its a neutral safety switch maker profided your alaram has the stop and go feature.
mixael-17 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Where would I be able to het this neutral safety switch?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Look to a RS that is built from the ground up for a manual transmission vehicle. The Compustar alarms are ones that are built like this.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mixael-17 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
As a matter a fact my car does not have a stock security system. It doesn't sound as difficult as I thought it would. Did you install the alarm on your car yourself? If so how long did it take you. Thanks for your response I'll be working on the car this weekend. hopefully I'll get it to work.
mixael-17 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Well supposedly the one that I got from ebay is design specifically for Manual transmissions only. Hopefully that will help me out.
jmacf14 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
if your alarm is designed for manual tranny only, then it will have the safety features built into it.for instance on the ultra start remote starters, you have to tap into the door trigger, the parking brakeinput, and the brake input.when you want to remote start, you have to leave the vehicle in "reservation mode", meaning while you are parking your car, put in nuetral, apply parking brake, tap the brake pedal, and turn your ignition off, the car stays running until you get out and shut the door. then it shuts itself off. it will remote start then only if nobody opens the doors.I really do not recomend putting this in a convertible. so for safety make sure that the unit is designed and labled for manual tranny use only! hope this helps. what kind of unit is it any way?
jmacf14
mixael-17 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, Thanks I really like your idea. If it wouldn't be much trouble could you find me that item number so that I can buy it too. By the way my mustang is a hatchback. Thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic