Viper 791XV, 96 Z28 Camaro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zbowtieman 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  

qdaddy wrote:
how do u know pats is right if it does not start and how long has alarm been installed or did the starting problem occur directly after alarm was put in also how did u wire the pats relay bypass

Iknow the vats is right because it will remote start without the key in the ignition.  This however, this is with the anit-grind freature truned off.  If I turn the anti-grind on it will not remote start.  Alarm has just been installed so the problem occured immediately.  I cut the PURPLE / white wire going to the vats decoder and connected the key end to terminal 87a and the decoder module end to 30.  I connected a resistor with the proper value to terminal 87 tying into the WHITE/ black wire. 12v constant to terminal 86 and the pink wire coming the four pin harness coming off the relay satellite. 

zbowtieman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
05gt wrote:

see how you have the 2nd ignition wire from the remote start brain connected to orange, change this to accessory wire from the brain and scrap the brown wire it is not needed, it might work

but the orange is neccesary for remote start in this vehicle, just a suggestion

so should I leave the pink/white 2nd ignition wire coming from the remote start satellite disconnected or should I connected it to another wire, if so which one?

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
don't connect it to anything, accessory wire from brain goes to orange in vehicle, and brown is not needed
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
did you disconnect the wires to the yellow starter wire and meter them to VERIFY that you do indeed have the violet going to the starter side etc?  it sounds like you may simply have the GREEN/ violet reversed.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
zbowtieman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

05gt wrote:
don't connect it to anything, accessory wire from brain goes to orange in vehicle, and brown is not needed

05gt thanks!  I'll try it today when I get off of work and let you know.

zbowtieman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
did you disconnect the wires to the yellow starter wire and meter them to VERIFY that you do indeed have the violet going to the starter side etc?  it sounds like you may simply have the GREEN/ violet reversed.....

Thanks Kevin!  That was my first thought also......I did in fact verify the violet is going to the starter side and the green is going to the key side.......

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
The relay that you used for the vats bypass how is that wired?.  ONe more thing you can try, with the anti-grind programmed back on, disconnect the ribbon harness that conects the relay pack to the brain. DO you hear a click when you plug it back in?  You you do then somewhere either the orange or ORANGE / black wires in that ribbon harness are grounding out.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
zbowtieman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

cntrylvr79 wrote:
The relay that you used for the vats bypass how is that wired?.  ONe more thing you can try, with the anti-grind programmed back on, disconnect the ribbon harness that conects the relay pack to the brain. DO you hear a click when you plug it back in?  You you do then somewhere either the orange or ORANGE / black wires in that ribbon harness are grounding out.

Here's how wired the vats bypass: I cut the PURPLE / white wire going to the vats decoder and connected the key end to terminal 87a and the decoder module end to 30.  I connected a resistor with the proper value to terminal 87 tying into the WHITE/ black wire. 12v constant to terminal 86 and the pink wire coming the four pin harness coming off the relay satellite to terminal 85. 

I'll try to unplug the ribbon harness and see what happens.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
zbowtieman wrote:

[Here's how wired the vats bypass: I cut the PURPLE / white wire going to the vats decoder and connected the key end to terminal 87a and the decoder module end to 30.  I connected a resistor with the proper value to terminal 87 tying into the WHITE/ black wire. 12v constant to terminal 86 and the pink wire coming the four pin harness coming off the relay satellite to terminal 85. 

I'll try to unplug the ribbon harness and see what happens.

You can also try instead of using the pink wire from the relay pack to power the vats bypass use the blue wire.  That might help.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
have you tried to reverse the green / violet wires from the 791?  it is slightly possible that they may have been reversed on the relay from the factory..... everything you describe suggests that it's either wired backwards or you dont have the security feature shutting off ( starter kill relay)
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic