icon

Subwoofer might be a dud, not sure.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpingpgt 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Recently purchased a 12" Kicker CompVR subwoofer. Hooked it up to a MTX Audio Thunder 421D amp. Now I'm not sure if the subwoofer is blown or was a dud to begin with because it's not working properly. I wired it up correctly, followed Rockford Fosagtes "Wiring Wizard" on how to wire it for a 2 ohm load (it's a DVC 4 ohm subwoofer) here's the problem. With the volume on my HU set at about 18 or 19 (It's a Panasonic HU) I slowly turned the gain on my amp up from 0, the subwoofer didn't really play at all, I could hear it a little but barely, with the gain nearly 3/4 of the way up, still basically nothing and the subwoofers cone wasn't even moving. Fooled around with some settings again today, and again... it plays, but it's very soft, and the woofers cone doesn't come forward or anything, just sits there barely even vibrating. Does this sound like a bad subwoofer? I know everyone here will crucify me if I tell where I bought it from.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
First off: how far "up" is "18 or 19" on your head unit?  Second, what signal is going to the sub amp?
Support the12volt.com
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
You bought it from fleabay didn't you?  If you did, then don't get down on yourself.  You live and you learn.  Must of us  don't believe in crucifixion, so you are safe in that regard.Subwoofer might be a dud, not sure. -- posted image.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
How far up is 19? As in what's my HU's max? 40 I think. I *usually* listen to my music in the 23-27 range on my HU. So to be easy on it I put it at about 19. With occasionally turning it up to 21, and 22. As far as what signal is going to the amp? Uh, I don't know what you mean by that. Like Pre-amp output voltage you mean? I know it's hooked up to my HU's subwoofer pre-amps. This is the HU I have - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hJMFWclnsE7/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=133dfx302
I've had a system with this HU before and never had anything like this, last system worked great. I just think my sub is bad because the cone wont even move. And yes, I did buy it from eBay, I bought it from one of those eBay Stores under CarAudio... what makes eBay so bad but a place like Onlinecarstereo.com not so bad? I don't get it.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
If you disconnect one voice coil and it gets louder, you have one wired backwards.  You can also try to test the voice coils of the woofer by "popping" it with a battery.  Take a length of speaker wire and attach the ends to one of the voice coils.  Touch the other ends to the battery's terminals.  If the cone makes a sudden popping noise, then you at least know it's intact.  You could also test the coils on the resistance setting of your multimeter.  Watch the reading change as you push the cone in/out, making sure you don't get a reading of zero or infinity.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
double and triple check yoiur wiring... maybe you accidentally wired it for 8 ohms? check and make sure the positive and negative wires on the amp are correct too.
if you push (gently!) on your cone does it move at all?
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
When I push the cone with the car off yes, the cone does move. I'm sure I wired it right but I'll look at it again. I don't have a voltage meter (had one, doesn't work anymore) I'm going to go check the wiring now but I'm pretty sure it was wired up right.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I tried to post earlier, but then I lost my wireless Internet connection.  What I was gonna say is that I think Onlinecarstereo.com is better in some people's minds because they at least offer their own 1 year warranty.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Just did a quick check. Everything seems wired right. I followed this - http://rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=1+woofer&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2
on wiring for a 2 ohm load. I took my time and I know I went posotive to posotive, negative to negative. Doesn't matter which VC the negative end going to the terminal cup on the box goes to right? Same for the posotive side? I'm just tryin to think of all posibilities.
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
just hook a battery up to it and see if it is any good. then go from there, maybe the amp..... making this a little hard
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic