the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Subwoofer might be a dud, not sure.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

You are setting your gain incorrectly.  You need to turn your head unit volume up to the point where it clips which is usually somewhere between 60-90% of max volume.  You will need to first determine this.  Please do a search for setting gains there are many good tutorials on this forum.  Also, the advice from geepherder is good and something you definitely need to double check.

Buying from any on-line car audio dealer is a crap shoot, but especially eBay sellers.  Some unauthorized re-sellers who say they offer a warranty means they will sometimes exchange the item for you if you send it back to them.  This means you do not have a factory warranty, and it means you may be buying refurbished of factory second equipment without knowing it.

Support the12volt.com
bumpingpgt 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well I wouldn't say ANY online retailer is a crapshoot. Crutchfield and Cardomain are just as good as going to a local audio shop and buying... possibly better. I know about those un-authorized places before, but I'd bought subs before from places like Audio-Warehouse.com and had no troubles at all, subs worked perfect. As for the gain, even if I was setting the gain incorrectly... that wouldn't cause the woofers cone to just not move at all reguardless of the volume. I thought I picked a good guy on eBay, he had an eBay store... 100% feedback rating and all. I E-mailed him and he said to ship it back to him as soon as I could and a tech would test it, if it's defective, he'd give me a refund or send me a replacement, whichever I preferred. So I'm going to send it back.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

If you are trying to set the gain at too low an input level, the subwoofer amplifier will not get sufficient signal and the "cone will not move."  Does it make any sound?  If so you most likely are simply are not doing it correctly or, like was already suggested, you have one coil out of phase with the other.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake: AUTHORIZED on-line retailers can be fine to purchase gear from.  Using UNAUTHORIZED dealers, no matter their reputation, is a crap shoot.  And if you had purchased your gear locally from a dealer in your area, you would not have to send it back and wait with your fingers crossed for them to agree with you by long distance.  You could take it in to the shop and get help and on-the-spot (in most cases) satisfaction.  Support your local retailers.

Support the12volt.com
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well, without a multi-meter there is nothing more I can do, it's wired right. The store I bought it from on eBay said in reply to an E-mail I sent em to ship it back as soon as I can and they'll either refund my $ or ship me a replacement, whichever I prefer.
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Is there anywhere else you can hook the sub up? I work at Circuit City and know that I regularly check people's subs for free, if that's an option for you. We carry Kicker there, so I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue with testing out some of our own product....
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Circuit City would probably do a bench test. But I already boxed it and it's going to UPS tomorrow to be shipped back. Hopefully they'll ship me one that works.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
What you describe sure sounds like your voice coils were out of phase.  You really should have done as suggested and actually detatched one of the voice coils to test this.  It is much more accurate than just doing a visual check.  The only other possibility I see is maybe they sent you a subwoofer that wasn't magnetized.  I guess we will see when you get the replacement driver.  Good luck!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Steven, my first diagnosis would be heart failure, then hearing damage followed closely however by wired out of phase. If you still have the sub, unpack it, take a small AA battery and connect some spare speaker wires to the + and - terminal on the battery. Either solder them on or black tape them on. Next touch the other ends of the wires briefly to the first set of input terminals on the sub, it should "pop" and move the cone either up or down. DO NOT hold the wires onto the terminals. Check each voice coil set to see if the cone moves. If it is moving, then it is sounding more like a wiring issue again. How did you wire the amp to the sub?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bumpingpgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
My friend helped me wire it correctly, he has the same sub and a mono amp. It was wired the exact same way his is wired. It was wired properly because his works and mine didn't.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
So what you are telling me is that you are refusing to check something really simple? If you have a dvc sub and it is wired out of phase, don't expect the sub to do anything. It is a simple oversight, one that I have done myself. Remove the darn sub from the box and check again. If you have a meter, find out if you have continuity through the coils or not. Just because something was "wired the same" does not mean that a mistake could have been made.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic