icon

Fiberglass Door Panel Project, Sanding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lor dude 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hey   jargonscott you going to finish or what?....Did you do that test of the flex stone stuff yet?

...and that prog didn't do the menus is said it was going to do...

jargonscott 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
lor dude wrote:

Hey   jargonscott you going to finish or what?....Did you do that test of the flex stone stuff yet?

...and that prog didn't do the menus is said it was going to do...

Dang, on the subject of the menus :)

The fleck stone turned out it probably would be too flakey, even after clear coating but I found some textured paint stuff over at Home Depot that seems more solid and I'll probably use that after I get the door as smoothed out as it can possibly get. Hopefully, providing I don't sand upon any holes, I can at least start thinking about that come Wednesday :D

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess...
Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I read somewhere (can't remember atm brain fart) but I saw a guy mix his bondo/filler with something to make it nice and thin, he was then able to paint it on instead of using the putty knife that is usually needed, this seemed to have made the job much much easier because it cut down on having to sand the high spots that sometimes come with using a putty knife and bondo. If i can remember what it is or if anyone else know's I'm sure it'll save you time, I might be testing the idea out on my next project.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
You probably saw that in the making a fiberglass box tutorial and as I recall that mix was bondo and fiberglass resin something like 5:1/
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Resin sounds right. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't that defeat the purpose of bondo then? (easy sanding) Resin is not easy to sand, hence why you do bondo.
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

Exactly, I have tried this bondo with resin thing and it does not work near as well as you would think.  The resin is more than three times as hard to sand and will clog your sandpaper up real quick, even if you are using 40 grit.

Bondo can lay very, very flat and smooth and be sanded quickly if you have some practice and get the timing right.  Start with 40 grit or comparable and when, and ONLY when, you think everything is perfectly straight and no waves or high spots or low spots ( low spots you have to re-fill) then go ahead and give it a thin coat of polyester filler for the sand scratches and pinholes, then once over with 80 grit for smoothness, and the thing will prime straighter and better than you could think.

Hope you can make it turn out good, it sounds easy typing, but it takes a whole lot of work.

grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
It would seem to me that the mixture of the two isn't needed either. Keep in mind that bondo was invented for finishing a surface before primer and paint on cars. If the car guys can get it smooth enough not to tell, shouldn't we be able to?
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

i cant agree with that. Bondo is just resin and talc powder more or less. its easier to sand to some degree, but, as i have just finished a set of panels i was working on, the magic mix (rage extreme and resin) was the perfect finish for the doors. self leveling, smooth, and about as close to finished product as i could get anyway. i mixed it 50/50 so it was more like a thick house paint consistency, and with some mid-grade quality DA sander discs folded in half (80 grit) the panels were ready for high build primer in no time. i use the mix for a contiguous coating on the piece im workin on.. hope that helped.

-J

2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
paintguy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
If you have access to spray equipment, consider a polyester primer. It'll go on much smoother than the filler/resin mix and be a whole lot easier to sand. At up to 5 times more build per coat than a regular high build primer, it's equivelent to a thin skim of filler.
We don't get this particular product over in the UK, but Evercoat G2 comes highly recommended.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
mix rage gold body filler and fg resin - double up on your cream hardener, and start sanding as soon as it starts to get solid.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic