97 Sebring, Viper 560XV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring and a Viper 560XV system which has been "partially" installed. All wires are hooked up and unlock/lock, arm/disarm/ work fine. however the remote start does not work. It simply tries 3 times to start and never runs.
I would like someone to look at the install and fix the remote start portion. Everything else is fine, and my car has no "bypass" type system, so it has to be a wire missing or something like that. Thanks so much in advance!
ED7
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
It may be a wire missing, or it could be something else. First, why did the installer not complete the job? Second, you say that "All wires are hooked up", if this is indeed the case you may just need to learn the tach to the vehicle, or put it in voltage sensing mode and set the crank time. If the installer has it in voltage sense already you may just have to increase the length of time the starter is engaging. You can find the installation manual for your system here.
Hope this helps.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Well, my installer told me all wires were hooked up.  I have not visually verified this.  I thought it was a tach issue at the start too, but when I try and set the tach using the valet switch, I can never get it to do what it needs to (can't remember exactly what the light is supposed to do, but no matter how long I hold the switch the light never changes.)  I have stated before, but if the key is in the car and in the ON position, the car will start remotely but the viper doesn't sense that its started so it will try 2 more times causing engine grind for the additional 2 times.  I would just feel better if someone qualified would take a look at it and tell me whats going on.  The guy who installed it may not have been as qualified as I thought (ie, I didn't take it to a certified shop or anything)  Thanks again!
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
I would suggest trying it in voltage sensing mode, if you have attempted to program the tachometer and the led does not confirm that it has learned it, there may be a problem with the tachometer connection. If the system is in tach mode and the wire is not connected to a proper location then the system will behave as you have stated, if you try the voltage sensing mode the starter will only turn over for a preset amount of time and then monitor for voltage increases without the need for a tachometer connection. Voltage sensing is not as reliable as a tach connection, however it may get you going. If you read the manual for your unit it explains how to put the unit into voltage sensing mode, and how to adjust how long the starter runs (crank time).
There is a search feature at the top of this page that states "Find an Installer", you can use that page to try to find an installer in your area. That may be willing to take a look at it for you.
Hope this helps.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
I will see if I can get it apart and take a look at it...hard to find much time with a 3 yr old and a pregnant wife!  Thanks for the info!
Twelvoltz 
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
You should not need to take it apart to change the programming options. All of the option changes are done via the same switch that you stated you had tried to learn the tach with. It should only take a couple of minutes to change the settings and give it a try (then back into the house to keep the wife happy 97 Sebring, Viper 560XV - Page 5 -- posted image. ).
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
No I meant take it apart to check the wires for volt sense instead of tach (or are you saying that the wires should already be connected to use this feature, ie it uses one of the 12V wires)  Thanks!!!
Twelvoltz 
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, sorry about that if I did not make that part clear. You do not need the tachometer wire connection to do voltage sensing on that unit. The connections are already there (to the ignition harness) that monitor for the voltage changes, so you would just have to change the mode on the system (feature 3-2), adjust the crank time(feature 3-5), and I would recommend putting it into voltage sense low (feature 3-6).
Hope this helps.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
I will give it a shot on lunch....not sure what to set the crank time on...im guessing it takes about .5 seconds to start...trial and error thing I would assume.  Thanks for the help, I will keep you all posted (if you actually care!)!
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, just gave this a shot.  Couldn't get into program menu.  This made me think my valet switch was bad.  So i tried to put it in valet mode with the switch.  Worked fine.  This made me think possibly the door trigger was bad...there in may lay the problem.  I armed the system, then used my key to unlock it.  Then opened the door.  Nothing.  Then i closed the door....voila...alarm began to go off.  Now firstly, what does this indicate, how do i fix it.  And secondly, would this cause a problem with remote start (ie, does the system think the door is open or something?)  thanks so much, you are a great help to a newb like myself!

ED7

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic