icon

Favorite Tools

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Vyse 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
What do you guys keep in your tool box? Any favorite or recommended brands for everyday or specialty tools? I have a small collection of sockets and drivers comprised of Stanley and Craftsman, mostly my dads old tools and Black And Decker reciprocating and jigsaws and 18 Volt cordless drill. Want to buy a brand new set of sockets and drivers, just can't make up my mind on what to get.
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
craftsman for hand tools can't beat liftime warranty, snap-on,proto,blackhawk, are more expensive liftime tools. i go to pawn shops and buy evercraft which is a napa tool and has a life time warranty. you can usally get them for 50 cents a piece. power tools craftsman is okay they are made by black&decker/dewalt. but i perfer hitachi or porter cable.
jayx27 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
Snap on, Matco, and Craftsman dominate my box. Throw in some Companion Kobalt and Husky stuff here and there.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
I have alot of snap on tools, but really not worth the high cost. Craftsman are good, and not bad on price.  I also have some Leisle tools I might be spelling it wrong. They are not to bad. I get them at discount auto parts when I need something in a hurry and can't get to Sears. In Florida there is a DAP about every 3 blocks. Well there not DAP anymore there Advance Discount Auto Parts. Advance Auto parts merged with DAP a few years back now they suck.
Big Dave
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

I absolutely use at least two of these (particularly the one on the far right) Matco plastic tools every day. The newer dashes found on cars are incredibly soft and these plastic tools do not mar like the metal ones do. Matco.

Favorite Tools -- posted image. 

Also, my Snap On pick tool is a favorite of mine. Pick tool

kreativesailor 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Besides the typical tools I use long Zip Ties. Believe it or not they are good for running wires in places where the mechanical arm can't. The Zip Ties are thin and very flexible. Just perfect for those very tight places.

You can try and fail but dont fail to try...
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with the long zip tie.  I keep a couple 36" ones in my box.  I cut the locking end off and then drill a few holes at one end of the zip tie so you can weave wire in and then tape it.  Once my modifications are done I then refer to it as a 'wire insertion tool.'  Best thing ever.

Also, of course I love my Mikita right angle drill and my skewdriver, a deadlly combination for tight spots.  And I seem to use my signal generator a lot for finding speakers/testing amps.

As far as hand tools go I have almost exclusively Craftsman.  When I was installing at Circuit City there was always a Sears within 2 minutes (I worked at several stores in Ohio).  I did once buy a grommet poker from the Snap On man!  Thats a great tool, too.

Kevin Pierson
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

oh yeah another favorite tool of mine, the metal blade edge out of a wiper blade, great  for snaking wires in to tight spots!!!! and my fordom it,s like a dremel but 4 times stronger and cost arond $250 new. it can do anything a dremel can do and much more!!!!!!!!!!    and like jayx27 said kobolt & husky   but go husky b4 kobolt only kobolt in a pinch. and be prepared to be disappointed.

bhurlebaus 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
I must say my fovorite tool is my Mac em710 multimeter. Other wise it would be my skill 3.6 volt cordless screwdriver. It works great for dash boards. The rest of my tools are are Mac and Matco with a little bit of Snap-on and Craftsman. I think you can never have to many tools. The more tools you have the easier it makes your life and the more things you can do.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
bhurlebaus wrote:
I must say my fovorite tool is my Mac em710 multimeter. Other wise it would be my skill 3.6 volt cordless screwdriver. It works great for dash boards. The rest of my tools are are Mac and Matco with a little bit of Snap-on and Craftsman. I think you can never have to many tools. The more tools you have the easier it makes your life and the more things you can do.
tools are a wonderful thingFavorite Tools -- posted image.
Big Dave
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic