icon

two batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thumpn87ford 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
i want to install another battery in my car i have everything i need to do it just need to double check to make sure it's hooked up right. 
if it's big it's ok, if it's shinny it's better. if it's loud, it kicks. the louder the better
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
make sure the 2 batts match....ive had problems with the charging systems not charging 1 batt fully if they didnt match.  something to look for. and dont forget to fuse the rear batt also.   XS
datspeed77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
You should use a PAC-200 Relay to isolate the batteries from each other. 
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Can you list the items you have for this 2 battery setup? just to make sure you got everything. There really isnt much. Your alternator should produce enough amps to charge both batteries. I am not sure why people say the batteries should be identical, I don't think they need to be identical.
I am in a similar predicament whereby I purchased all the items I think I need. Just need to hook it up.
Also like mentionned above, make sure you have a isolator relay and fuse for each battery. I put fuses for every device as well. Having extra fuses dont harm, but having too few is cause for burning up something.
mark
t0mmyr 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged  
what happens if you hook up 2 new batteries to a 100amp alternator?    that is all my stock nissan alternator puts out and i have a new red top and yellow top optima i want to install into my maxima?
weedfan 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
what u need 2 batterries for?
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
t0mmyr, think if it this way. A battery is basically like a bank, where you keep putting $1 every millisesecond (the alternator storing some current to the extra-battery). Once in a whiles (each time your subwoofer is hitting a powerfuil bass note) you need more power whereby the current is being provided from the extra battery. Like withdrawing $100 from the bank. Even though you are withdrawing $100, it is still nothing compared to what you saved by adding $1 every millisecond. Now havin 2 batteries would be like having 2 banks. You will surely be putting little bit of power in each battery, but I havent seen anyone yet with 2 batteries. Are you sure you need 2? What made you decide on 2 batteries? That might give us clues. Also what power amps and speakers are you using?   I am sorry if I bored you with the bank analogy, but I just thought it might be helpful for some.
Mark
t0mmyr 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

the bank analogy is good, easy to understand this way.  i had a red top optima battery already, and i just got it replaced for a brand new one, and i was also given a yellow top battery brand new, so i might as well as use them, when i had my system installed in my old truck i used to get the lights to dim with 2 caps installed, so i'm hoping 2 batteries will alleviate this problem, i'm running a JBL BP1200.1 amp for my sub which draws max 120amps, http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=BP1200.1

and a Polk Momo C400.4 for my 4 component speakers which draws 60amps

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/amps/c400_4/

theyre both power hungry

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
A extra batt only helps if you plan on playing your system with the motor off. It will let you play longer. that's it. It will not make a bit of differance if your car is running. That is when your alt is powering your system. and charging both batts. Make sure you have a ho alt. (extra batt=extra load) start with 2 new identical batts. I don't use isolators myself. Some one is sure to argue that with me. I have been running dual batts for years never had a isolator, no troubles.
Big Dave
axandy 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  

i just join up today and what i seen so far this is a good site any way i need help

got citroen ax gt the alt is 50/70 and the ice system i running is,

jbl 1100 watt

2 x 500 watt subs

and all speakers

how do i install a 2 battery

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic