the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Kicker or Eclipse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

Paradigm wrote:
How bout we all go to Steak-N-Shake and get a steakburger and call it a day? Kicker or Eclipse? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Ah yes, the old GRAY-AREA restaurant analogy.  Hmm, so what would be the Steak-N-Shake of the audio world... Alpine?  Kicker or Eclipse? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
bootanger 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
If my truck has the tow package i presume it has a slightly bigger alt (4.7, V8 2001 dakota)...cant i just surpass with using a 2 farad cap for each amp running 750 rms each, plus another eclipse two channel..200 rms? The total pull is 1700 watts, which would be about 140 amps? Im running two kappa perfect 10.1, with a 1211a amp, and another 200 rms through pio amp running my component now, and only have one cap, and everything is fine. I just make sure i dont leave the car off with the stero running for long (: So anyone think i can survive with that much amperage pulling off a heavy duty battery and a couple 2 farad caps? Is it possible i could add another battery in my cab next to my amps or something right?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Don't use any caps is my advice.  Properly install the amps and subwoofers first and see if your alternator can hanldle the load. 
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Whell, if your pulling 140 amps ontop of what your vehicle already pulls, then you for shure no doubt need a new alternator if this is your daily driver in which you listen to the music loud around town. The stock alternator no matter how big it is was only made that big to deal with the demands the vehicle can draw which is usually 75% of what the alternator can produce on its best day. So...you have 25% approximately left on your alternator to add aftermarket electronics to (assuming your alternator is kept in an ice box..highly unlikely)  which equates to approximately 20-25 amps extra for the average stock truck alternator....wheres this extra 115-125 amps going to come from? Definately not from the magical power producing flux capacitors, thats for shure.  Definately take the $$$ you have right now and shop for an alternator, then get that MEAN Eclipse system, if you keep it powered up properly it will hammer hard alllllll dayyyyyy longggggggg.

Kicker or Eclipse? - Page 2 -- posted image.  Enjoy!

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
bootanger, what dept do you work in?  Mind if I ask?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Just a litle info for you guys as I also work at CC I can give you a little insight. the price quoted above is actually below cost there is quite a markup on car audio equipment as hopefully you all know but that 60% off puts it below the cost that circuit city buys it for the reason we get it for cheaper is that we are actually buying directly from Eclipse/Kicker. So people buying from the store aren't getting ripped off like that post made it seem.
bootanger 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

I didnt make it seem like they were, i wa sjust using an example mark up is limted. Im in college, i work in the tv deparment and sell tv's when im in town. (so ya ya, i dont know jack about car audio..or very little, thus is why im on the boards here trying to figure this stuff out..which i do appreciate)...so ok, alternator it is, i just gotta find one for a dakota. Do dealers generally carry that stuff? or will they charge me an arm and leg

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic