icon

fiberglass eyelids

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmpdoutexpo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
hey guy im new to tis site and i just got a question about some fiberglass work im trying to do my buddys eyelids for a tiburon and and having a hard time doin it what the best way to go about doing them.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
when u pop open the hood u should be able to see the top of the light case. Could u tape off the top and front of the light and then glass it and build onto that? Even better would be if u could use existing bolts...just unbolt the bolts u want to use then tape off everything and when the FG is hard and the tape is removed just mark where the hole is and drill through the glass and bolt it on.
fiberglass eyelids -- posted image.
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Ill agree with placid....but, make sure you tape around the holes before you drill them, If tape them youll have a better chance of getting a clean hole...I learned this the hard way and cracked my body kit....good info placid and good luck pmpdoutexpo.
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

05honda wrote:
Ill agree with placid....but, make sure you tape around the holes before you drill them, If tape them youll have a better chance of getting a clean hole...I learned this the hard way and cracked my body kit....good info placid and good luck pmpdoutexpo.
< language=>

I also want to do this.  I have Eclipse Projectors on my Avenger and they are almost correct looking, but I want to make eyelids so it makes the headlights look as though the car came that way.

I was thinking of making a mold of the top of the hradlights and then fiberglassing them.  The Eclipse Headlights are slanted while the Avenger is flat on the top.  I want the Eclipse lights to me flat on top like the Avenger ones were.

"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
To avoid cracking the fiberglass, and get a clean hole, drill backwards.  It takes longer, but so much better.  I use this all the time for drilling through plexiglass.
pmpdoutexpo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info and i will be workin on them this weekend and will post pic os the process as i do it
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

sweet man..looking forward to pics

sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Do they not make them for that car, or are you lookin to do it yourself for customization purposes, just outta curiousity.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
pmpdoutexpo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

they do make them but im gonna do it for customization purpose plus i like workin on that kind of stuff i just recently built a full fiberglass system in the back seat of my buddys tiburon that the eyelids are for

pmpdoutexpo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
having problem doing the eyelids i am using fiberglass cloth and resin and hardner.  we cut strps about 2 inches bigger than the eyelid on each side and then soaked them with the resin we used about 4 layers of fiberglass cloth on each on and after they stoped givin off heat they were still very flimsy and when i cut them to the shap the edges were fraying.  any help with this is greatly appericiated because wee have to get them done for a show that is commin up
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic