icon

1991 Toronado Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
damageinc97 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1991 Olds Toronado withe the touch screen radio/heater combo, and I would like to install an aftermarket CD player in th factory Cassette player under the radio. I have no problem making the trim rings and stuff, but I need to know the factory wiring colors for speakers and such, any ideas? Anybody ever do this? Thanks guys
hawn13 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

haven't done one in a while but if I remember right the tuner box is in the trunkon the passenger side on the seat or rear deck it has gm plug on it the metra 70-1858 will plug right into it and it also has the ant right there too like the old gm pickups hope this helps

damageinc97 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I'll look into that tonite, I never thought of it being like the Chevyy truck. Thanks
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
If you have the BOSE system option you can't simply add a new headunit. You either need to buy a interface to allow it, or scrap everything in the factory system, speakers and amps, and replace everything. The BOSE system uses a digital amp and speakers ranging from 1/4 ohm to 2 ohm usually. These will destroy your new radio. Your may want to consider the option of adding a FM modulated CD changer. They don't sound as good, but in your case will be easier to install.
sparky
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
actually you can still use the 70-1858 if you use a PIE differential converter inline... i have used them on Bose systems many times....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
damageinc97 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
It doesnt have the Bose system, I already changed the front and rear speakers with regular aftermarket. Im going to dig into the back today or tomorrow to check on that 70-1858, I bet its there. I wasnt sure about messing with it because of the touch screen, but i bet its not that bad, just time consuming. Thanks guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic