icon

2005 cobalt OEM amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Tried to put a Pioneer 8600 into an '05 Cobalt. I used a "spare" fuse socket rated at 20 amps (according o the vehicles manual) and was also installing a PAC steering wheel interface. (gnd to gnd, 12 v switched to 12v switched, interface wire to the Cobalts darkblue (pin a9 i blieve) and then tied the WHITE/ black to 12 v switched per the instructions). Radio wouldn't power up and i found that the constant 12 had no juice. Spliced on to the RED / white 14 gauge at the fuse box for a more reliable source. Radio worked for about 30 seconds and then lost audio. I turned the car off and back on for giggles and audio came back on for about 10 seconds then no audio again. What made it really odd is that the aftermarket amp and subs lostaudio too!. I was guessing the factoryamp was shutting down but.....i dunno. ..AND THEN..... the keless entry doesnt work now. NIGHTMARE!!!!  Fuses all seem ok.

Any guesses?

Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V
zfactor2004 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
i would first disconnect the pac adapter... then give me a list of your connections behind the radio..the amp needs to be turned on via the decks remote wire... the ion/cobalt requires some of the plugs available to be re-pinned. these cars are very fussy about where the power is taken from as well... you should be ok with the fuse box though. get me a list and ill sort it out for you.. i do a lot of the oem work here for chevy / saturn...
Simplemitch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
I'm using an American International GWH-404 harness (for Malibu & Equinox....per A.I.) But I am having him come back in today so I will have a complete color-to-color chart for you by later tonight.
Mainstreet A/V
Simplemitch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
BTW... What wire DOES need to be powered for the factory amp and is it 12 volts?
Mainstreet A/V
Simplemitch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

the kid can't come in til friday..... i'll update ya then.

I was thinking though.... the only way I could lose audio in the OEM amp AND the aftermarket is if the remote output was faltering.... will have to wait to see.

Mainstreet A/V

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic