icon

Alpine IVA-W200 review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
I recently sold my IVA-D300 deck to get one of the newer models.
I decided to get the new Alpine IVA-W200 Double din with touchscreen.
Here are my my impressions of the deck.
Great styling of the unit, very simple, most controls are on the touchscreen.
The screen is 6.5" compared to the 7" i had before which is not that notecable for just using the deck functions.
I like the double din instead of the flipout since my car has a double din slot, you dont have to wait for it to flip out.
The menu and graphics are more like the lower end models from last year, no frills, just your basic settings.
Has the iPod full speed capability, which i love, you can do searches for the songs, artists, ect.. and all information about the track is displayed on the screen, alot better interface than the D300 hands down.
The dvd you can control using the touchscreen just like the D300/D310
There is no seperate control box, it is all built into the unit, i didnt like plugging the amp rca's directly into the back of the unit, i can see most cars having problems with the clearance.
The volume control is two buttons now unlike the knob, so you have to keep pressing them to change the volume, there is a mute button which is very nice.
Overall im very impressed with the deck, it has great expandability, the bluetooth adapter and also HD radio can be added at a later time.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
stephen m 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the review, lots of good info. Any plans to use the NAV add-on capability? I'm interested in hearing some first-hand reviews of the navigation interface.
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
well im getting the blackbird, and the dock when its available to hook up to the w200, so will post as soon as i get it.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
ssdell3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
I have the iva-w200. I hooked up my ipod video to the full speed cable and it worked fine. I conected my wife's 4th gen ipod to it so she could listen to it, and it worked fine then also. When I connected my Ipod Video back to it, it says its connected, but that its searching for the Ipod. If I reconnect hers, it works fine. Any suggestions would be soooo helpful.
bollwerk 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
The iPod Video should be compatible. The only thing I can suggest is making absolutely sure you have the latest firmware/update (using iTunes I believe)
ssdell3 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
it started working a few days later. I had to completely drain the Ipod Video's battery, not reset, for the IVA-W200 to see all of the information. I won't be connecting her Ipod again. Thanx for the input though.
thefivespeeder 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I installed it in my girlfriends 05 Scion tC, the common problem expect was like said before w/ clearance in the back because it is an all in one unit, other than that the full speed cable is an awsome add on, no cds in hand, full speed, easy search, got the 2gig nano in the glovebox. Just waiting on BlackBird now, maybe a ps2 slim in the glovebox too.

thefivespeeder 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
Oh the one thing I didn't like was they used the 6.5" and I was hoping for a full 7" but for what it is you can't complain.
ssdell3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

I added the BlackBird to my setup and drove around for about 45 minutes. I'm glad i knew the area I was in. The BlackBird lagged behind my actual position average 1 to 2 blocks. Driving on the open road would be cool because there aren't many options as far as streets to pass up. Once you get into a town, or city with streets being close to each other, you'll miss a turn. I returned it after the 45 minute test ride and bought the NVE-N872A Advanced DVD Navigation System. The price seems steep, but it is sure worth it. Live traffic updates, weather updates, calculator, address book, voice command, etc., are just some of the features it has. Granted, XM Data has to provide some of those services for your area, but I love it.

stannn 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
hi. how do u think this unit compare with the kenwood ddx 7017? thanks!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic