icon

8 + 8 Gauge = 4 Gauge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JdM xplod b01 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
i have 8 gauge in my car, but got some more 8 gauge thats long enough. Can i run two 8 gauge wires to my amp? Will that be the same as 4 gauge? Will it hurt my amp?
Pioneer Premier TS-w3004spl, Bass Slammer vented, Kenwood KDC MP-4028, and a KAC-9152d.
1stclasso 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
current wise it will carry it! but remember your wiring and power are the most important parts of your system, so if there is anything u dont wanna take short cuts on then that would be it. in short JUST BUY 4 Gauge
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

You have two questions:  first, the two 8 gauge wires will NOT handle the amperage that one 4 gauge wire will.  See a basic chart like this one.  It's close...well, not really.

But that is not what you want to know.  Can you use two wires from battery to amp?  Sure, you can.  Each wire has to have its own protective fuse, and the combined wires have to fit into the amp power input.  You must not combine the two wires  and place only one fuse near the battery in hopes of protecting both of them.  You have to weigh the difference in your cost and the cost to the system'a aesthetics;  does it cost you much less to buy another fuseholder and fuse than it does to buy one length of 4 ga. wire?  And, does the money you save justify the absurdity of running two fused wires to one amp?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
JdM xplod b01 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
To tell you the truth i got ripped off becuz i thought i was buyin 4 gauge, but the plastic is so thick that its really 8 gauge. But its no refunds and i got another fuse holder from a friend. So i learned my lesson on buyin cheap wires. But add it up and it would be close to a 4 gauge kit. 8 + 8 Gauge = 4 Gauge? -- posted image.
I have another question. . . is it a good idea to buy a 4 gauge kit, tak the real 4 awg, then put my fake 4 gauge in the package and return it ?
Pioneer Premier TS-w3004spl, Bass Slammer vented, Kenwood KDC MP-4028, and a KAC-9152d.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
What, you are asking other people if it is alright for you to commit a fraudulent act? No offence intended here but a question like the one you asked ought to earn you a "vacation" from the site for a week or two. As this is beyond my abilities here on the site, take my advice and discard that idea that you had (an apology to the site owner would be nice as well, we don't want others learing bad habits now do we.) What you should do is tell us what the brand of the wire is that you bought and where you bought it from.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
JdM xplod b01 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
the brand is boss and i got it from the flea market. Man i got ripped off.8 + 8 Gauge = 4 Gauge? -- posted image.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Question and a Comment for you. First off what kinda amp do you have and whats the fuse rating on it, do you need a 4 gauge wire or are you just adding something in that you dont need. As for the "Vacation" that rob mentioned above, I was just on one of these and they kinda suck so you might wanna follow a simple rule next time of "Think 1 2 3 then type." Generally works out better in the end
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
COme on forbidden: You know no one would ever do somethign like that. He was just testing your morals8 + 8 Gauge = 4 Gauge? -- posted image.
JdM xplod b01 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
i have a kenwood KAC-9152d. It has 2 30amp fuses, they recomend 4 gauge and i want to get the most out of my system.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
So run 4 gauge- do you have a question?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic