icon

how much for starting pay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neverthatgood 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
i am looking to get a job as an mobile electronics installer.  i just got my bronze leverl MECP cert.  The only experience i have is setting up and tuning friends systems.  How much should i ask for starting pay on my application??
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Were do you live?  That will make a difference.  If you are in a major market, maybe $10-$12 an hour for a beginner, if you are in a smaller city, maybe $7 it just depends on the company.  I know Best Buy starts their installers at a higher pay than Circuit City, but I don't know if that's what you are looking for, it may be a good place to start.  MECP isn't a requirement in my opinion as long as you have good training, although it is a good place to start, there's no subsitute for experience. 
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have like the basic knowlege like amp,HU,speakers that type of thing and the shop i was gona work at was gona pay $8 an hour, and i wish i could find someone that would teach me more i have been messing around with fiberglass i am doing ok and my cousin is teaching me to paint so i hope i develop some skills to get me into a good shop
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
I could all of audio, but was an alarm, and cruise virgin, I made 6.50 an hour in Kansas.  That was at a local shop. Time and half on Sat. so that was nice.
Good Luck!
-Thad
neverthatgood 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
i live in detroit suburbs, so $10 sound about right here, thanx to all
junior40er 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
thats why I left c ar audio and work in aviation electronics and software. Im glad I was in it for years tho. Its good experience and can open up doors to all kinds of positions in the field.
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
I love car audio and vid but you make no money unless you own your own shop. Thats why I said screw it and got a job as a railroad electrician can you say 20+ and hour with the and a half with double and double time and a half and the best of all TRIPLE TIME. They love car auido guys there its just like you car but 600+ volts and 3000+amps anyone want info PM me I'll put you on the path
don't fowl the track
pcguy760 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  

OVERCRANKED23 YOU TOOK THE WORDS OUTTA MY MOUTH MAN!!

Lol sorry I had to yell that out when I came across this post. Not to put you off or anything, but man, the only way you really come out is if you own your own shop. I use to work at a huge car audio center (2 level building) down south and I was gettin tired of the low pay and the owner constantly telling me he is gonna give me a raise for my good work, so I said f**k it and started installing on the weekends and stuff - pretty soon I was making in one day what I freakin made in a week!

So I said forget it, quit my job and went all out. I am talkin about ads all over the suburbs for my installations! I must add that what really helped alot though was that I also studied electronics engineering for a year and also worked in an audio visual repair center - so I also took repairs for car audio and then I would install it for them and it turn alot of my customers would go buy stuff for their other cars and bring it for installation, etc.

It was nice, but I must add VERY time consuming too. Well then I went on to PC repairs and now I do that part time and work for Honeywell Corp - automation and sensing division. Honestly, I do not think I will go back to the audio business - just my opinion - BUT, I still install stuff for my friends, myself, etc. just for the love of it. I still love car audio visual and always will - its a part of me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic