icon

Foamboard?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
abraxsis 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Im planning on glassing an LCD into my center console, and I had a question. Has anyone ever used that foamboard stuff you can get in a craft store/Walmart for the frame? Its like a foam covered with paper. I thought about glassing the bottom for strength, then using a combo of mat/fleece and kitty hair for the top. It should give me a nice clean finish.
So has anyone used this foamboard in a glassing project?
Abraxsis
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

it is called "foam core"...you would have to somehow protect the edges of it since the foam will not like the resin very much at all...or should i say the resin will love to eat the foam...

what is your reason behind using this? you going for something thin? try masonite..

i am not exactly sure what you plan on doing with this...unless you plan on shaping it drastically i would use wood..

Fiberglass Guru.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have used balsa foam in the past. Strong, light and it can take resin directly.

http://www.balsafoam.com/aboutbalsafoam.asp

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
or if it needs to be light weight, double up on that plastic stuff they use for signs on the side of the road.  You know what I'm talking about?  like courrigated plastic?  I think they sell that at craft stores too.
abraxsis 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well I was planning on covering most of it with kitty hair at first, and the fiberglass is going to primarily going to be for stability and for tying the LCD mount into the console.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
i believe you are going about this wrong then...you should use the mounting brackets (shroud) for the LCD to hold it inplace...for a super clean install separate the the cover off the LCD screen...that is what you want to mold into your car...then it will look factory...some has done it on here i am sure...search for LCD's i am sure you will find it..
Fiberglass Guru.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah Cougar has it right.  Hey Cougar, didnt this umm...."TCalYen" or someone like that do a full build up of a center console in a Durango relative to this that we could reference?  Im recalling he integrated the LCD's shroud face in the fabrication.  Im not at my office to search for pics, but I know TCalYen had plenty of pics which would give Abraxsis immediate reference.

Ah, found it, and yes he did....heres the post: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=62553&KW=tcalyen

Good luck...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic