icon

ASL fuse sizes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hardknocks 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
also haemphyst i you read what I have and how i ran my alts u will see the 300 amp that goes straight back to the rear batteries does have a anl fuse. and the 250 amp comes from the alt to a Isolator that goes to the main battery then back to the rear batteries and it is fused 15" after the isolator
4-15" RF T2
6-7" RF Component sets
8 Planet Audio 900d
10 Batcap800
1 250 amp alt
1 300 amp alt
2" sound deadner roof,doors,floors
corey497 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
ummm, so any help with the fuses i need?????
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Okay...your question was answered a few times, but let's K.I.S.S. 

• Fuses protect the wire in which they are installed.
  • Choose the fuse rating according to the gauge of the wire.
  • Fuse every positive power wire.
  • The position of the fuse in the power wire should be as close as possible to the source of current.  The battery is a source of current; a high amperage storage device.
  • Use the fuse ratings shown in Power and Ground Cable Specs.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
corey497 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Okay...your question was answered a few times, but let's K.I.S.S.

Well then you point it out to me because i see NO posts saying what amp fuses to use...

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Slow down and read again- the very first two responses give you all the info you need.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
corey497 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

OK well this is what i gather from the Power and Ground Cable Specs

Ill need a 160A (X2) between my amps & cap

Ill need a 320A between my battery & cap

Ill will need a 235A betwwen my 235A alternator & battery

Am i right? im soo ready to pull my hair out. Is there really any difference (except price) in the gold plated fuses?

corey497 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

After further research i found that i cant use those exact fuse sizes, so i guess it would be smarter to round down??

160 ~> 150

320 ~> 300

235 ~> 225

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
The Power and Ground Cable Specs chart shows fuse values appropriate for wire gauge.  You may use the 150 amp fuse in any gauge wire no thinner than 4 gauge (read this as:  150 amp fuse is appropriate for a 4 gauge wire and may not be used in any wire that is smaller).  The 300 amp fuse may be used in any wire no thinner than 1/0 gauge.  The 225 amp fuse may be used in any wire no thinner than 2 gauge.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
corey497 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

I made my mind up on the fuses for the amps, but what about the alternator? Its going to be supplying not drawing.  I guess I go with a fuse rated at the peak output of it?? Beacuse, if its putting out peak amps theres problem and rather than anything melt down the fuse will pop... right?? 

stevdart 
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
This is the last time I will say it:  fuses are chosen for the gauge of wire in which they are placed, not for the device at the end of the wire.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic