icon

Memphis PR sub gets hot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Memphis pr 12" 250w/500 max sub on a 200w pioneer amp.
It ran for a long time just fine. Now it shuts the amp off and the sub is real hot. Why would the sub get hot?
We have checked everything and cant find out why.
any ideas would be helpfull
                           Thanx -Mike

stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

sounds like your sending a clipped (distorted) signal to your sub, my suggestion is to get a larger amp that matches your subs's power ratings so you can send a clean signal to your sub.

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Um, no not necessarily there Stang. Heat is a natural byproduct of producing power. Turn on a light bulb, you also get heat. Turn on your amp, you get heat. Turn on a engine, you get heat. Turn on a sub, you get heat. Heat is the killer of subs. If your sub cannot dissipate the heat generated by sustained use or by overpowering the the driver, the sub is going to fail. A properly designed sub is going to do it's best to pull heat out of the center of the speaker by means of vented pole pieces, perimeter venting, liquid cooling etc. Heat is there to stay for now. As long as you do not break the thermal barrier of the sub, heat will not be an issue.

As far as the amp goes, it may be shutting off due to it's thermal barrier being breached. This may be due to an incorrect gain setting or the amp is driving the wrong impedence for it's original design. An amp has multiple protection circuits, low voltage, low current, low impedence, excessive heat and other safety gates as well depending on the manufacturer. My bet with yours is the gain set too high and / or the wrong impedence.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

i see your point of view, maybe i just mis took his info, i know a sub will get warm, mine always has,  but not hot.   i just assume'd that since he's had it running for a long time that the impedance and gain levels would have been done properly otherwise these problems would have shown up shortly after the install. 

just on a side note, here's what ya can do forbidden, move your shop across canada to the furthest point east of you, set up shop here, hire me and share your knowledge   lol

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

I have seen subs that were so hot that the magnets melted right off of the baskets. 11 hours of sustained top volume playtime and they finally failed.

mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Now we found that the deck gets real hot after bout 5 songs at 20 volume. So we think its the deck since its a refurb.
forbidden 
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

That is about normal as well I hate to say....

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden is right...  Since decks produce power they naturally produce heat as a byproduct.  A lot of decks can get really hot, but still work fine.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
why would he purchase another amp to match the subs power rating... he probably won't notice a difference going from 200-250.
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
After looking over this system and talking to the customer.
This amp says it runs 380w @ 4ohms bridged
and the gain/volt was turned all the way up by the customer.
I have it set and told the guy Not to touch it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic