icon

’06 Chevy Silverado Service 4wd message

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
apexer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Floaterr, are you using a DEI 457G?  What you describe about the "door ajar" is exactly what happens in my Silverado with the 457G.  I don't care for it, and don't understand why it needs to happen.

Headlight flash? Do they actually flash or more of a "flicker"? 

Checked with my installer on going back to the original set-up and he states DEI recommends not using the 555L/456 combo in my '06, but to use the 457G. Anyone know if GM(Chevrolet) changed anything at all that would make one want to use the 457 over the previous components other than a simpler install?

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
floater,
1. You'll only get the "door-ajar" message if a door is open AND the transmission is in gear.
For reasons unknown, the databus module only sends out a door-open signal for a moment, after you hit the brake.....as long as the transmission is in park during that time, you won't get the message or the chime......so that's why it only happens if you put it quickly into reverse.
2. As for the headlights flashing. Does the remote starter flash the parking lights on and off during the daytime?
The factory design is that the headlights come on automatically at night.......unless the parking lights are switched on. Since the remote starter keeps turning the parking lights on and off, that is why the headlights are flashing.
I don't like flashing parking lights with remote start anyway. Have your installer re-program the unit to keep the parking lights on steady, and the problem of the headlights flashing will go away.
apexer,
No reason from your point of view to not have the 555L and 456G installed in your truck. I think the two different pieces make the installation overly complex and costly, but they work just fine.
From the installer's point of view:
1. The 457 costs him less than the other two parts.
2. He's sick of working on it and wants you to go away.
3. I don't believe the 456G is in production anymore. He might have already installed your old 456 in someone else's car, or shipped it back to DEI, and doesn't have another.
At any rate, though, you deserve customer satisfaction and to get what you paid for. If you were a customer where I work, I'd try to make you happy no matter what features we'd agreed on beforehand.
the Trilogix (www.bypasskit.com) GM-DLBP does the same thing as the DEI 457G, but without the design flaws. It doesn't cause the door-ajar message, and it is capable of two-step unlocking, as well as having a Panic feature.
Its only downside is that it has to be re-programmed if it loses power---when the battery is replaced or after you need a jump start.
So, there's another option to consider.
Also, ask your installer: "If the 456G and 555L are not recommended, why did you install them in the first place?"
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

If I remote start my truck, get in (close door) and turn the key to the run postion and put it in gear before teh dome light dims, it will display the "door ajar" message even though the door is closed completely.

Does the 456G module have the necessary 2 inputs for the 2-step unlock? 

Has anyone installed the Audiovox APS685 in a late model Silverado using the 2-step unlock?

I do get the feeling that the installer is sick of working on it and wants me to go away.

The 555L & 456G were from the previous vehicle and were put in the '06.

Only issues when these 2 components were installed were the "Service 4wd" message-which seems to have been an error on the installer's part and the the 2-step unlock didn't function correctly as stated above-1 press driver's unlocked, 2 more presses for the remaining 3 doors.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
the issues you had with the 555l/456 combo were install related problems.  Have put this combo in quite a few 06 gm suvs/trucks haven't had one problem with them.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Were you able to set up the 2-step unlock feature(1 press driver's door, 2nd press-remaining doors)?

cntrylvr79 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Answer sent via pm.  The only thing I forgot is you might have to put diodes on the 2 unlock wires from the audiovox.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
--The 456G (and the GM-DLBP for that matter) does not actually have two different unlock wires------it has one wire------the first pulse to the wire unlocks the driver's door only; pulsing it a second time unlocks the other door(s).
--I've been installing Audiovox product for four years now. The 685 is two model-cycles old now, but it is a fine piece.
--New or old Audiovox product, the two-step unlock works fine when installed properly, with the correct databus module.
--The service-4wd message was an install error, but had NOTHING to do with the doorlocks.
--The two-step unlock not working with the 456G was an install error, which could have been EASILY corrected with either of the methods I mentioned in my first post.
--You should point out to the installer that this new 457G did not solve your problem, and have him install the old pieces PROPERLY.
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

cntrylvr mentions the possibility for needing  diodes on the 2 unlock wires from the Audiovox-will the installer know if this is needed or not for this particular vehicle?

Thanks again for everyone's help with this!

Chris Luongo 
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've never used diodes before, and I haven't had a problem.
cntrylvr79 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

If the installer doesn't know what a diode is they shouldn't be touching cars.  The only reason I mention the diodes is becuase I had a problem once about a year ago with an alarm and the 456.  But that was only once in about 100 or so gm trucks.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic