icon

’06 Chevy Silverado Service 4wd message

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p01110101 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
the 06 trcuks use a new databus and require a new bypass interface. in my truck i use the compustar gm-all
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
p01110101 wrote:
the 06 trcuks use a new databus and require a new bypass interface. in my truck i use the compustar gm-all
I have seen no electrical difference in any of the 2003-2006 General Motors full-size trucks.
apexer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

p01110101 wrote:

Why does it require a new bypass? 

Curious as  I, too, am unaware of any changes since the 2003 in the Silverado trucks.  Others have stated the same.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Me 3, I just did an 06 silverado today with the 555l/456g combo.  Didn't have any problems with it.  Makes about the 20th I've done.  If there is something different then I guess I'm going to have a lot of calls to make soon.  Not to mention a lot of those bypasses that allow the 2 step unlock to order.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
I think the member may be reffering to the 2007 GM trucks. They have completely changed. The 2006 trucks have not changed with regards to installing remote starters.
sparky
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  

So I stopped by the shop last week, spoke with the installer and mentioned what I had found out on this forum about using the original 555L/456G set-up and having 2-step unlocking.

He says sure I can do that.  (Why not do it the first time the truck was there, not the 4th?!) 

I took the truck over yesterday afternoon, was told it was a 1/2 hr. job-okay, fine.  This was more like 1.5 to 2 hours.

When he tells me it's all ready, I ask about it being set up for the 2-step unlock (one press opens the driver's door, second press unlocks the remaining 3 doors) and he says No, it is like before-1 press for the driver's door, 2 MORE presses of the unlock key to unlock the others.

He claims it is due to the Audiovox unit, and that is why it can't do the 2-step unlock.  I mentioned again what was stated in this thread, and even had a copy of the posts that told how to go about wiring the components but he didn't even look at it.

At this point I would have went to his supervisor but he had left about 1/2 hour prior.

Now what? 

Chris Luongo 
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
The only extent that it has something to do with the Audiovox remote starter, is that he is unwilling or unable to read the instructions that come with the unit, or the instructions we have provided here.
Since it seems unlikely he will get the job done, perhaps you just reprogram the thing yourself.......I think it would work by that method, as opposed to changing the wiring.
Can you access the programming button for the remote starter? That is the black pushbutton one, NOT the toggle switch that flips back and forth.
There are two convenient holes under the dash, and I mount my programming switch in one of those since it's already there........but other commonsense locations might be zip-tied inside the fuse box, tucked under the leading edge of the carpeting, zip-tied to one of the exisiting wire harnesses under the dash, or even drilled into the kick panel.
Next, do you have the installation manual that came with the remote starter originally? Not the owner's manual----they are two separate items.
If you don't have the installation manual, you can download it at audiovox.com. When you're searching their website, don't use hyphens.......just type in "aps685" or whatever the unit is that you have.
Anyway, once you've found the programming switch and have the installation manual..........
Near the back of the manual, is a list of all the settings you can change. There are several steps you must follow........involving the ignition key, the programming button, and buttons on the remote. The instructions are a little painful to read, but accurate.
So, go into programming, and turn the "2nd unlock" feature, or whatever they call it, OFF. See if that fixes it.
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

I have access to the programming button, and have printed off a copy of the install/programming instructions.

By turning "Off" the 2-step unlock feature, will this possibly let me have the 2-step unlock, rather than what it is currently?

If I turn the feature off and nothing changes, should/could I just leave set like that or should I turn it back on if no change?

Chris Luongo 
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Based on what you've told me about how the truck is behaving, I don't see any reason it shouldn't work.
Even if it doesn't work, for some reason, I can't see any harm in leaving it programmed off.
Here is what is happening, if you are curious:
--The Audiovox unit has three doorlock outputs: Lock, Unlock, and 2nd unlock. (red, green, & RED / black.)
--The red wire makes a pulse EVERY time you hit Lock, no matter what you did previously.
--When you press UNLOCK for the first time, the green wire makes a pulse..........when you press it a second time, the RED / black makes a pulse.
--From what you are describing, the installer has connected the green (1st unlock) to the DEI doorlock piece....but has left the RED / black (2nd unlock) connected to nothing.
--So, 1/2 of your "unlock" presses are going to trigger the RED / black, which does nothing.......
--By turning off the "2nd unlock" feature, the RED / black should no longer have any function, but the green will ALWAYS make a pulse, EVERY time you press unlock.
TIP: The programming instructions tell you to count how many times the parking lights flash. Unless you do this at night, you'll hardly be able to see the parking lights.
Instead, simply listen closely for the clicking sound of the remote starter turning the lights on and off.
Alternately, the display for the radio should go dim when the parking lights are on---you can just watch for that.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
If the SEcond unlock feature is turned off then you won't have anyway to get drivers priorirt unlocking.  Have to make sure the second unlock wire of the audiovox is hooked up to the greenblack wire of the 456.  If it is then first try reprogramming the 456.  Unplug the harness to the 456 then disconnect the blue wire of the harness and ground it.  Then plug the harness back into the 456 the door locks should cycle twice.  at the point hook the blue wire back up to what it was hooked up to before.  Then test the locks and it should be all good.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic