icon

First Project, Sunfire Door Panels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, I actually like the idea of my girl or a cool chick being better than me at my own craft.  If Jessica Alba was a fiberglass guru, I don't think you would be too mad about it, especially if you had something going on with her. hehehe

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

i wish my girlfriend would have half the patience of yours.  Anytime she hears the words:  i'm, working, and car, in the same sentence, she's got something else she needs to be doing.  She hates riding in my car, much less sitting in my gerage watching me working on it. 

Project looks good, i plan on tackeling my own door panels pretty soon, so this has been a big help for me.  its always nice to see someone else try it before you do, especially when the door panels in your car are irreplacable. 

slimmatic 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Well, In just graduated from college a few weeks ago and moved into a new place. Unfortunatly, there is no place for me to work on my door panels here. I will have to take a few weekend trips out to my dad's house to finish them up. I will post pics when I have some updates. Thanks for all the comments. And I agree, I would love it if my girl would help me.
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well... after what seemed like forever I finally had time to drive out to my dad's house today and work on these again. The filling/glazing took me a lot longer than I anticipated, but I have one panel almost ready for paint. Hopefully i'll have more time to work on these soon.
Filling/Glazing/Sanding Progress
First Project, Sunfire Door Panels - Page 3 -- posted image.
While I waited to filler to dry I finished painting a few more of my interior pieces
Primed... almost ready for paint
kmapro 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Aboslutely awesome....but I do have a question.

By glassing the whole door, you added a lot of weight that could eventually wreak havoc on the hinges and cause improper alignment - thus resulting in unwanted resonance and rattle in the car.

Seeing as how you "body fillered" the entire panel, whi didn't you just build a small fiberglass pod for the lower portion of the door (where you have the speakers located now). Then rough sand the factory door panel to help with adhesion, attach the pod with resin and then body filler the entire door panel - sand - and paint.

That seems as if it would have cut down on alot of unnecessary sanding (IMHO)

By no means am i knocking on your work - I think it is awesome. i am just making an observation from the outside looking in....

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Good to see you back working on it again Slimm, your recent post in exactly one month later, coincedence? heh
Looking good, I have a 93' CrySlurr Concorde coming up in the next couple of weeks whose door panels I will have to fiberglass and "pretty-fy."
Keep us posted, and you better not respond on "Aug 24th", lol.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
kmapro wrote:

Aboslutely awesome....but I do have a question.

By glassing the whole door, you added a lot of weight that could eventually wreak havoc on the hinges and cause improper alignment - thus resulting in unwanted resonance and rattle in the car.

Seeing as how you "body fillered" the entire panel, whi didn't you just build a small fiberglass pod for the lower portion of the door (where you have the speakers located now). Then rough sand the factory door panel to help with adhesion, attach the pod with resin and then body filler the entire door panel - sand - and paint.

That seems as if it would have cut down on alot of unnecessary sanding (IMHO)

By no means am i knocking on your work - I think it is awesome. i am just making an observation from the outside looking in....

Yes, the panel is definitely much heavy now than before... but a lot of the material(mat, resin, filler) was danded off. I do not know if it will cause problems in the future. I hope not, nut i'll see.
Also, like i said before, much of the filler was sanded off the panel. I applied filler to the whole panel to help shape it. The reason I fiberglassed the entire door was that I wanted to... 1. add the pod for the speaker/tweeter, 2. fill in all the lines to create a smooth, curvy door, 3. cover the "map pocket" hole and make it smooth. This required fiberglass, as just filling it would most likely crack. The idea of just glassing the pod occured to me at the begining, but with my other goals I took this root.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Melted Fabric wrote:

Wow, I actually like the idea of my girl or a cool chick being better than me at my own craft.  If Jessica Alba was a fiberglass guru, I don't think you would be too mad about it, especially if you had something going on with her. hehehe

Jessica Alba (or any of many, many others) could be FG gurus or not...they can sit there and just BE and I'd have no problem with that whatsoever...except I would have to wake up at some point LOL.

Slim, looks good. How are you planning on finishing the door? Cloth, vinyl, paint?

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Painting the door panels gloss black. Which sucked, because it reuired much more sanding and prefecting that if I would've covered them. Same with the rest of the interior. There is a cloth inserts that goes along the top part where the holes are. It will be recovered in black mole skin (kinda like suede).
kmapro 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Makes sense Slimm...as I said, great job and please keep us posted with the final pics....
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic