icon

avic-n2 speedometer incorrect problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d21burggraf 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
the speedometer on my avic-n2 in the vehicular dynamic display is incorrect.  does anyone who how to fix that problem or what i need to get in order for it to work beautifully? 
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
In which direction is it off?  What kind of vehicle is it in?  Where did you connect your speed sense wire? 
Team Edge Audio
d21burggraf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
I own an 03 dodge ram 1500 quad w/ the hemi.  the speedometer doesn't read accurately at all.  When I'm going 30mph it says 45 then sometimes it says I'm going 0 at other times.  Best Buy hooked it up for me so I'm not sure which wire they hooked it to.  What do you suggest I do?
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Is it over or under your vehicle speed? My d1 reads 7kph under my speedo at 110kph, and I am sure the D1 is accurate.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
gmuzyka 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know what color the speed sensor wire is and is it easily accessable in a 1999 Lincoln Navigator
xmel
dstang24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  

d21burggraf wrote:
I own an 03 dodge ram 1500 quad w/ the hemi.  the speedometer doesn't read accurately at all.  When I'm going 30mph it says 45 then sometimes it says I'm going 0 at other times.  Best Buy hooked it up for me so I'm not sure which wire they hooked it to.  What do you suggest I do?

Does your speed on your navi change with the change in your engine's RPMs?  I think they hooked up your speed sense wire to your vahicle's RPM wire.  I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 quad cab as well.  I have installed mine correctly.  Take your truck back to Best Buy, tell them to hook the wire up correctly.  Here's a message from a previous thread.  It's a picture of my install and the location.  It's on the passenger side in the engine compartment right in front of the PCM.  Good luck!

avic-n2 speedometer incorrect problem -- posted image.

This is my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 AT... I installed the N2 recently.  Both the VSS and the Reverse wire are by the PCM, which, yes is in the engine compartment.  I have a picture of the install.  The wire on the right is the VSS wire (solder & tape) while the one on the left (in the t-tap, got lazy) is the reverse wire, which is only hot when the vehicle in RUNNING and in reverse.  Again, the engine must be turned over to make this wire go hot. 

REVERSE : White w/ light green BY (next to) the PCM       -- it was on the front bumper side of the plug that's on the fender there...

VSS:  Dark Green w/ Yellow    IN (connected to) the PCM

Reminder... This is my '04 and it's a 1500... It seems to be similar to yours so you might use it as a guide.

Hope this helps!

-Dstang24

Team Edge Audio
d21burggraf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Your info is very helpful.  I will see if that is how they hooked it up.  If not, well then I guess they will just have to fix it.  The navigation seems to work fine, the but speedometer on the dynamic display is never accurate.  Sometimes while I am driving a message pops up and says, "this function is not available at this time" or something like that.  Does yours work and is it as accurate as your actual speedometer on the truck?  Thanks again for your info.
dstang24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

It is very accurate.  In fact, I bought bigger tires for my truck and the Navi speedometer is now correct and my dash speedometer is slow.  They used to be within .1mph of eachother now at about 45mph on my dash speedometer, my navi says 48mph, which is accurate.  There is a menu that you can go into on the N2 where you can look at all of the connections.  There will be a beeping sound representing the speed sense wire in this menu under the settings somewhere.  Try listening to that, or have the installation techs listen to that while driving.  The beeps get more frequent as the speed of the vehicle increases (at least when it's hooked up properly).  If the beeps increase w/ the RPM's then I am correct. 

I went out to my truck and fired it up... here's the menu selection to get into that screen...

settings - hardware info - connection status 

The original menu (settings) is available when you press the blue button.  Settings is the far right tab.

Hope this helps

-Dstang24

Team Edge Audio
free_refil 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
Also, make sure your brain is installed correctly. It has arrows on the top of it telling you which direction to install it. If it's crooked, it's prolly messed up. Also check the Connection Status screen. Listen to the beeps while driving. Like dstang said, they should get more frequent and higher in tone as you drive forward (not with your RPMS but with your speed). If that's not working correctly, then there's your problem. Another way to tell that the VSS wire isn't hooked up correctly is if your position on the map updates roughly every 1 second. If the VSS wire is hooked up, its a smooth scroll down the road.
Pioneer AVIC-F700BT
Polk Audio MM6
Alpine MRD-M605
Alpine MRV-F450
Alpine SWR-1242D
RF 1 Farad Cap
Streetwires ZN Interconnects
KnuKoncepts Power Wire
d21burggraf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the pics dstang24.  My vss wire was hooked up to the wrong wire.  now the speedometer actually speeds up and slows down like it should except it reads about 10 to 20 mph slow.  When i am going 30mph it says i'm going 20.  when i'm going 60 it says i'm going about 40mph.  what do you suggest i do now?  thanks again, your info is very helpful.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic