the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

too many eq’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

A higher pre-out voltage will reduce the chance that noise could come into the system.  However if installed properly it isn't needed.  I have very expensive equipment in my car and I measured with an O-scope that its output voltage is less than a Volt.  And I have absolutely no noise issues whatsoever.  For more information on this, please read this link: http://www.bcae1.com/preoutv.htm  As for efficiency, in actuality between 97% to 99.5% of power is lost as heat in a speaker.  This is because speakers are generally about 1% efficient in changing electrical energy into acoustic energy.  And finally, to find out all about S/N ratio, please read this link: http://www.bcae1.com/sig2nois.htm

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
What Steven said above, AND:
jayson358 wrote:
oh yea cause i read somewhere on this site someone posted a higher s/n ratio is better so a higher volt preout equals a higher s/n ratio in the system
ABSOLUTELY false. Yes, a higher SNR is better, BUT the SNR is FIXED, and is determined by the topology of the amplifiers and signal components in the chain. The knob on the end of an amplifier is NOT a gain control, it is a signal matching device. The gain of an amplifer is also fixed; this knob simply matches THAT signal level to the (topologically fixed) GAIN of the amplifier. If you have a level matching range of .2v to 8v, and you have a deck with 8V outputs, all the "gain control" does is minimize the input signal to keep the input signal from overdriving the final gain stage. In the case of THIS example amplifier, the gain stage is SET PERMANENTLY to be driven to full output by (somewhere close to) a .2v input. If your system is "gain" matched correctly, your SNR will be at the best it can be, no matter WHERE the "gain" (the knob on the end of your amp) is set.
jayson358 wrote:
and the amps efficiency will be greatly improved then u have more wattage out of the amps "50% power is lost in heat" am i right cause most of yall say this in ur post
True, but I think you are misinterpreting what we are saying. An amplifier that is 50% efficient, producing 100 watts AT the speaker terminals, will also be producing 100 watts in heat. This means that to PRODUCE 100 watts of output, it will demand 200 watts of input. This will hold true no matter WHAT the output power is. 50 watts out will demand 100 watts in... MOST class A/B amplifiers are actually around 60% efficient, so the heat portion will be a bit lower than the output portion, but you get the idea.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
i really appreciate all the input ya'll have helped me with but one last thing what is wrong with using the eq's ive been thinking today i have the matching crossfire xover that goes with the eq it has 2 input (1 highpass & 1 low pass) and 3 out puts f,r, and sub is that ok to do that set up i mean really good system installs ive heard had multiple large eq's why did they use'm im mean it must help a little for sound quality right
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.