icon

Head Unit, Red and Yellow Together?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racefan15 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing my deck right now. Ive connected all the wires in dash and  amps. Ive connected the red to red and yellow (hot) to yellow and also connected ground and turn on. (I have no internal amp in my deck, it is strictly for external amps so all speakers go through amps.

Nothing happens and does not power on that way, HOWEVER, if I touch the red and yellow (from the deck) wires together... everything works perfectly. I sohludnt have to connect the red and yellow should I? Arent they meant to be wired seperately?

Is it hurting anything for them to be wired together other than the little pop I get when I turn the car off or is a better way t owire it.

You guys are great, thanks. (please help quick, dash is ripped apart)

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
Check your fuses in the car. specifically teh radio fuse then accesory fuses. Yellow shoudl be hot all the time, red should trigger on when the ignition is on. I would not wire the yellow and red together, it is a given you'll leave the h.u. on and drain your battery. If you can't find problem in which I believe is the ignition trigger (red) then you can go to the pink in the ignition harness for switched power. Hope this helps you out.
frydchkn 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

One of your wires is missing power.  Put both wires together from the radio and try connecting them first to the yellow wire to the car....if it works your red power wire isn't getting juice.  What kind of car is it?  Did you buy a harness for it?  Follow the red wire into the harness and make sure there is a wire hooked up to the same terminal on the cars harness.  I've noticed they aren't in the right place sometimes... You can get away with using just the yellow power wire from the car but the radio will always be on, regardless of the key position, try not to use just the red wire if thats ur case. Good Luck

Maxxed OUtt

racefan15 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
it was the 10 fuse under the hood, great advice,,,thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic