icon

sub setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
To be quite honost if money is no concern then one of the best sounding Sub setups I've heard for a ten was the JL W7 with a 500.1 If your looking for more bass than that they might want to invest in a great set of earplugs. Also, for as load as that thing was, it had pretty incredible SQ as well.
If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
eddiej_07 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

i want good sound quality.   I am not sure what spl is or what it sounds like.  Please fill me in!  which would be best for souund quality  and wich best for spl.

what is the sound difference between a 12 and a 10 inch sub?

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
SPL = Sound Pressure Level. it's how loud your sound system is
Shaking The Neighborhood
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
the difference between a 10" sub & a 12" sub? 2" in diameter.... The 12" will move more air, making it a little louder. I would go with a 12 personaly, better off to have a little more than you think you need...my .02....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

To build upon what Aruman said:  SPL is a specific setup dedicated to maximize sub bass levels, and the term is most appropriately used in competition circles.  With a SPL setup, sound quality is not desired, just maximum sound pressure.  The most inappropriate use of SPL is building a system so that your car can be annoying from 3 blocks away.

SQ, on the other hand, is what we want to attain if we are in it for the pleasure of listening to music.  Loud SQ is not defined as SPL or that ambiguous trade-off nonsense name, SQL.  Loud SQ is simply good sounding music at loud volume (and I give it a 10 because it's got a beat, Dick).

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
eddiej_07 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
personally i prefer sound quality!  but i want it to be loud also.  above some one stated that twelves are louder than tens but i want to know what is the difference in sound quality of the bass that the two produce? Which sounds better?  above extremej said that he would go with a twelve but my options were one twelve or two tens.  the sub will also be put in a sealed box so keep that in mind when you make recomendations!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

You can listen to people's recommendations from here on out to the end of time and you're still not going to know what you like the sound of.  Got any stores around you to visit?

Here's some basics: 

• sensitivity of a speaker is not the same as efficiency
  • cone area of a 12 is larger than a 10
  • cone area of two 10s is larger than one 12
  • larger cone area subs tend to be more efficient than smaller ones
  • therefore it is entirely possible to get louder sound from one 12 than two 10s with your given power
  • design of the cone can decrease cone area (see "PHAT" surrounds)
  • a pretty cone or basket doesn't make the sub sound good
  • etc

You get the picture.  You can't stop counting the variables.  But I guess you can end up with a list of prospects, huh?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Realistically it just comes down to maybe a name brand that you like or what you like. I've seen some really crappy subs that sounded good because they were set up correctly. If you spend a little time and do some investigation I believe that anyone can make a pretty decent system that will fit your needs. I again would say that since you aren't to concerned in "SPL" then I would still go with the suggestion of the 10" W7. The only problem with these subs is that they are truley design with the intent of being placed in a vented or ported box. Other than this I really believe like stevdart said your best bet is to go shopping around and listening to what the stores have and then just pick a couple that you believe would work for your needs. Then put them on here and let people give suggestions from experiences with your chosen subs that your looking at. There really are a lot of quality subs out there today and with the correct setup there are infinite amount of ways to get to your desired sounding sub setup.
If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic