icon

sony xplode 6x9'x too loud

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
I am running 4 sony xplode 6x9's (2 in front, 2 in rear) in my 05 sebring. I am powering them with my panasonic cq-7301u head unit. The problem is that the speakers are too loud. They get as loud as I would listen to at 22 on the volume setting, when the volume adjustment can go all the way to 40. I want to find a way to quiet them so that I have more range in adjustment to use the full range to 40 in my volume setting. Would putting an additional 4-ohm resister in-line with each speaker be my solution, or what other idea's might help me out. This is somewhat confusing because I expected the spekers to be underpowered if anything. Thanks
impaladad 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Could be you have a factory amp, that is overdiving the speakers. Could bypass but why? Is it distorted, or are you just looking for more range out of the volume? Easy way, leave it alone; hard way, bypass the amp.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
I dont believe I have a factory amp, when i installed the wirng harness for my head unit, the secondary power & groung and remote turn on did not have anything connected to them in the harness, plus there is nothing under either of my seats- but I could be wrong. Yes, I am just looking for more range. Thanks for the reply
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
You can always fade towards the front.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

I verified there is no factory amp for sure. So will putting the 4-ohm resistor work for what i'm trying to accomplish?

geepherder 
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Whoops, I see that you have 6x9's front and rear so fading won't help.  Resistors would lower the output slightly, but they would also get hot.  You say 22 is as loud as you would listen to, but does the sound break up at higher volumes, or is it still clear?  If it's still clear, then there's nothing wrong with it.  If it breaks up, then chances are you actually do have a factory amp.  You can unplug the head unit and try to "pop" the speakers at the harness.  If they pop then you have no amp.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
No, it stays clear. When you say pop the speakers, what do you meen? Thanks for the reply
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
are the DVC speakers?
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
geepherder 
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
Read the sticky labeled "how to figure out stereo wiring".  It will tell you.  One possible way to achieve what you want is to use a 4 channel amp, and rather than setting the gain to match the head unit, you can set it well below that point (do a search if you're not sure).  I wouldn't do it because there's not really anything wrong with your system, but it could give you the results you're looking for.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.
Most ppl wish they had ur problem. sony xplode 6x9'x too loud -- posted image.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic