icon

Amp Kit for Power Acoustik A3000DB?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigwest4085 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  
I have no clue what kind of amp kit i need to get for my amp. All i know is i need all the cable, and i have a really powerful amp. Please let me know what kind of kit i need to get. Here is the amp i bought. thank you
http://www.cardomain.com/item/POWA3000DB
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
I am not 100 % sure but I am willing to bet it has maximum input size of 4 gauge power cable. so you'll need a 4 gauge install kit, be careful when buying these some cheaper brands are actualy smaller than 4 gauge. I would also wait to confirm that the amp has the capability of accepting 4 gauge. Maybe go onto power accoustics web site.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
if that amp isn't too overrated, if it's true wattage is close what the amp is rated at, i'll use 1/0 gauge wire kit.
Shaking The Neighborhood
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Verify that it can accept whatever wire you choose though, I have had several instances where people have to have 4 ga or 1/0 gauge and I end up stripping 50% of the wire down just to get it into the input  onto the amp. I highly doubt this amp will accept 1/0 gauge. Power Accoustic from what I have seen over rates everything they sell. My .03.....
Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
also check this , maybe it can help you a bit more.
Shaking The Neighborhood
xtremej 
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I looked at this site and maybe I am wrong but, if an amp cannot accept 0 gauge or 4 gauge then it is pointless to run it and then have to cut half of it off to fit. So do you run 0  gauge and then use a distribution block to bring it down to 4 gauge? I am truly asking this question, anybody know? Maybe I've been going about this backwards? Any help form the guru's out there...
Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Xtremej you can also use one of this wired reducer this one shown of the pic below is an 0awg to 4awg reducer.
Amp Kit for Power Acoustik A3000DB? -- posted image.
Shaking The Neighborhood
xtremej 
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I understand how to reduce power cable size, I guess I'm just  not seeing the point to running large power cable just to bottle neck it at the end of the run. Maybe I am wrong but it doesn't make sense. I can see if you have multiple amps feeding off of power cable/distribution block,  to run larger cable your obviusly going to draw more current.  Sorry bigwest not trying ot take over your thread just trying to get you abd I an answer.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
because the solid metal 4 guage piece or for that matter a 1 inch piece of 4 guage will handle the same amounts of current as a said 15 foot piece of 1/0 guage
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej i know what you mean, but you know that electricity loose at distance. so lets say you have an amp that can use 4 awg and you install that amp in a big car like a van or something where the wire length is great, I'll prefer to use then a bigger awg wire and cut the cable a bit(not 50%)at the end or use a wired reducer compare to use a thin wire the whole length.
I have a friend that has 2 amps in his trunk, and his wire is 2 awg to his Dis. block and when we measured the voltage at the Dis. block it doesn't have the same voltage at the battery or alt, it did loose voltage. in my car i use 0awg cable, and my cable is longer than his my cable is almost at the end of my car, i have my amps mounted at the sides of my trunk. and i did also cut the cable a bit at the end so it can fit better to my amp, but mine did not loose a single volt. so i prefer to use a ticker wire and use a wire reducer or cut it a bit so it can fit, compare to use a thinner wire and loose voltage. but that depend the lengt(distance where the amps are mounted or the Amp rating wattage). that's my 2 cent. correct me if i'm wrong or if i forgot something, thnx.
Shaking The Neighborhood
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic