icon

Max relays on 200 ma ground

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jldet5 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

I currently have 2 window modules hooked up to my starter kill / anti grind wire.  It was the wire that worked best for how I wanted the roll up to work...active when locked and during remote start.  I am now thinking of adding a 30A relay to the same wire to kill / anti grind the starter.  Since the window modules are basically relays this would make a total of 3 relays hooked to the 200ma starter kill wire.  Is there a max?  I have now idea how much a relay draws.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
A standard bosch type relay will pull 150ma when active.  You can have an infinite number of relays on one wire so long as they're not active at the same time.  I've got the same setup in my car 2 window controllers and the starter kill and have not had anyproblems with anything not working properly.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
jldet5 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

cntrylvr79 wrote:
A standard bosch type relay will pull 150ma when active.  You can have an infinite number of relays on one wire so long as they're not active at the same time.  I've got the same setup in my car 2 window controllers and the starter kill and have not had anyproblems with anything not working properly.

Thanks,  thats good to know!

I suppose the DEI window controllers aren't really pulling that much and are not a true relay?

If they were, all three would be active at the remote start anti grind which would pull 450 ma?

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

yeah if i remember correctly when I tested them, they pulled something like 5 or 10 ma for a second during the initial roll up activation.  Don't qutoe mre though since this is going back at least 2 years.  Like I said though you shouldn't have anyproblems, since everything isn't always activated at the same time.  The start kill is only active with the ignition turned on and the window controllers are only pulling their current during the first second or so of rolling up.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
jldet5 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you!
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
you can also, use one relay for the neg trigger, and use that to send a signal to multiple relays, so you only have one connected to the brain. then you will have a 30A output instead of 200ma
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
jldet5 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

infinkc wrote:
you can also, use one relay for the neg trigger, and use that to send a signal to multiple relays, so you only have one connected to the brain. then you will have a 30A output instead of 200ma

Since this is the ground when armed starter kill wire the relay would draw 150 ma continuously when the alarm is set?

infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct it will draw 150ma while its armed.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
If you are adding a starter kill relay to the negative output when armed, it will only draw current when the alarm is armed and the ignition is on, if it is wired properly, and will not draw current the entire time the alarm is armed. The other side of the coil of the starter kill relay should be connected to an ignition lead, not constant 12 volts. If you connect it to a constant 12 volt lead, your battery may drain as quick as over night.
Max relays on 200 ma ground -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, you guys covered everything  :)

I don't think that the (-) input on the window module controls the relays directly, but I may be wrong.  The window modules have their own CPUs to control the relays and it wouldn't make much sense to drive the relays from an input like that, if there is a control system present. 

If in doubt, use your amp meter and find out how much each component draws.  Alternatively, you could throw a low current relay (solid stay or reed type) on the output.  Low current relays will pull 10-20mA and provide you with much more current capacity.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic