icon

Speaker smoking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tallard03 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, I'm kinda confused right now.  I installed a sony xplod 1200 watt amp in my little piece of crap '04 civic with a 1300 watt max 12" sub around Christmas and it worked fine for a while.  I went and got an oil change and ever since the bass keeps kicking off in the middle of a song.  I pulled over and popped the trunk to find a smoking speaker in my box.  I've now gone through the whole car and find find the malfunction.  Checked all wires, fuses, grounds, the whole nine and i just can't figure it out.  If anybody can help it would really be great.  And if you do help in any way,  I don't know you, but I love you man!!!     Thanks a lot guys.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
You're using "max" ratings so I take it you really don't know what is going on in this car audio world.  As much as Explodes aren't very well thought of, it wasn't the speaker that smoked itself.  It was the guy who put this system together, whether mismatching power or setting improper gain levels.  My bet is that you set the gains too high on the amp and it sent so much clipped signal to that poor Explode that it burned it up.  That's the malfunction, so you can quit looking for that lurking gremlin.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
You have exceeded the thermal barrier of the sub and melted the voice coils and turn them crispy critter. Read the underpowering a speaker thread to understand better.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tallard03 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

Guys I think that i'm beliveing that you should have more than one speaker with your system.  I just got a brain fart and pulled the speaker outta the box and put it back in my trunk with no response....... BUT I pulled it out and had the amp hooked up to the rear speakers with a crossover and the amp worked perfectly fine.  it made the two rear 6X9s sound great.  My guess is that like i have read in previous posts that the one speaker has blown due to the overpowering of the amp...  I think if i had either two speakers of that size or a smaller amp it would be fine.  If I'm wrong tell me, by all means I am not a speaker tech.  but from my tests this is what I'm gathering.......  Thank you very much guys!!!!....

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
like Stevdart said, maybe your amp was clipping causing the your subs death.
Shaking The Neighborhood
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
i'll say it, altho i doubt it'll get us anywhere.
Slap the Speaker with a DMM, look for a stable reading.
if it jumps like a 4 dollar hooker in the rain you know bad things have happened, or if it reads 0 also bad news.
i'd guess clipping sony + max power = bye bye sub.
best of luck with whatever you do
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
tallard03 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I know that the sub is shot,...., but if I put a smaller amp in will it work???? This is what I'm asking,  nothing about the sub, because I know it will do nothing???????????  Thanks guys....
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

It is gone, burned up, fried, it's a paperweight.  You have no other option.

It must be repaired or replaced.  And I highly recommend that after you buy your replacement you pay someone to properly set the gains on your amp or you will fry the next one too.

Support the12volt.com
tallard03 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
I understand this completly.  But what I have been trying to figure out is why didn't it happen sooner?  I mean it worked perfectly fine for like 4 months but now the snow melts and it blows the sub.  If I was to get the same sub or one with the same outputs and turn the settings down on the amp would the same thing happen???  I know that I'm new at this, but I know that the amp is wired properly because when I first installed it I had numerous audio techs take a look at it.  Unfortunately they didn't look at the settings on the amp.  Please help if you can guys,  I appreciate it.  Thanks...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

Again, read the thread I referred to. Here is the link.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74226&PN=1

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic