icon

Stay with current sub or buy a new one?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I have a 1999 VW Golf and currently have an alpine 12'' Type R Ported with an Alpine MRD-m501. I have had my system for about a year now and I am thinking about getting a new system. The sub seems "boomy" at times and I feel it does not go low enough at times. Its tuned freq. seems a bit high. The car also rattles a bit all over, which i am hoping will get reduced with the new sub playing lower tones. I have been looking at the 10W7 from JL, hearing and knowing that it is a much better sub, already in the JL Factory vented box. I am also looking for better SQ with the new sub.Any opinions on what I should do? thanks in advance guys

-Gary

PS: the m-501 would match the 10w7 from the specs.

Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
vwgolf1128 wrote:

The car also rattles a bit all over, which i am hoping will get reduced with the new sub playing lower tones.

imo it's the lower notes that cause the rattlings. correct me if i'm wrong.

did you dynamat your car?

if you can afford the w7, go with it.

Shaking The Neighborhood
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
The w7 is a very nice sub.  Like Aruman said though...  Unless you deaden your car it will still rattle.  It'll probably rattle a little more with the 10w7.  Don't take our opinions on subs though.  You should go listen to what you can hear.  If you like the 10w7, then by all means buy it.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
bump for any more suggestions!
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

You really need to deaden your car, that is the only thing that will help the rattling not to mention increasing sq and  spl.  You said that the box might be tuned too high?  That would result in the "boominess" you described.  You might want to look at a different box first.  If not, you're not going to get many bad remarks about the w7 except maybe the price.

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Well the box is made to excel at a certain freq., I can not change that. I guess im split on deadening the car all over, or getting a W6 or W7. Ahh decisions.

Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
bump for input
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
vwgolf1128 wrote:

Well the box is made to excel at a certain freq., I can not change that. I guess im split on deadening the car all over, or getting a W6 or W7. Ahh decisions.

You can get a new box or build a new one tuned to a different freq.  If you read the WINISD tutorial sticky you can enter your driver's T/S specs and design a sub enclosure to suit your tastes.  It's actually a very useful tool.  If your current box is tuned too high it will give you the "boominess" you described, making it a one-note wonder and killing your lows.  Changing port area could make a difference or getting a whole new box is also an option.  If that's not what you want to do then there's really no question here, you don't like your setup and you know the w7 is a great sub so buy it.

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking at the 10W7 HO box. Can my Alpine MRD-M501 run at 3 ohms that the JL needs to be at?

Also has anyone ever listened to any of the pre-made JL boxes, such as the one I am looking at or the prowedge?

appreciate it

Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
If I were you, I'd try just building a properly sized/tuned box for your current Type R's. I've always though they sound great for the money [when in the right box].
If you get a w7, your car will more than likely rattle MORE. What you need is to, like everyone said above, deaden your car no matter which setup your decide on.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic