icon

can a relay or 2 make this work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2muchspl 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, I'm trying to use my strobe light controller  for turnsignal on my cbr954rr, I tried the pulsed to constant output to no avail.

heres a scenario I got- just cant make it work.

my running light is always on until i hit the turnsignal for that side, it deactivates and stays off until I cancel the turnsig, normally + and off for signal.

Can I use this wire ( running light wire) to trip a relay when the voltage fails, which can in turn trip another relay to activate the controller box? 

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

Yes you can. Just one relay can do it.

can a relay or 2 make this work -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
2muchspl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

I still couldnt get this to work- it does the opposite of what I need it to do- when the running light has power the strobes are flashing- when the turnsig is activated and the + is interrupted from the turn sig line the strobes go outcan a relay or 2 make this work -- posted image.. got any more Ideas hotwaterwizard? any help is greatly appreciated

2muchspl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
should say - interrupted from the running light line the strobes go outcan a relay or 2 make this work -- posted image.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

Did you Put the strobe power on 87a Not 87 ?

if so then put the strobe power on 87 instead and it will do the opposite.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
2muchspl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

tried that too still behaves in the opposite manner- the strobes stay on constantly until the turn sig is activated.can a relay or 2 make this work -- posted image.. It seems we're so close! is there a specific type of relay that i should be using?- I just got a regular 5 pin bosch style relay just like your diagram

Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Are you wanting the strobes to be "on" during the turn signal intermittant "off" cycle and off while the turn signal bulb is on?

If so, you need to add a second relay to Hotwaterwizard's original relay diagram.

On the second relay, ground terminal 85, tap the turn signal wire and connect it to terminal 86, connect 87a to your strobe controller and connect the "strobe power" wire from the first relay(from 87a) to terminal 30 on the second relay.

When you activate the turn signal, the running light goes off, the power from the original relay will then send power to the second relay, which will send intermittant power to the strobe controller as the turn signal flashes.

2muchspl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

sorry Hotup32, that isnt workin either. . . . it still does the opposite- as soon as the running light gets power, the strobe controller is activated- any more ideas? does anyone have a pair of relays/ battery and some spare time to try this and see am i the "idiot" in the equation?

sethsyd 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
The original relay should work.  When the running light is on, the connection between 12v and the strobe controller is broken.  When the running light is off, the relay coil is deactivated, closing the connection to the controller, thereby activating it.
2muchspl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
I must have 2 bad brand new relays- had to switch to using a fully charged car battery ( bike is getting chrome wheels todaycan a relay or 2 make this work -- posted image.)and it still doesn't work- they only come on when terminal 86 has come in contact with 12V- Bout to give up maybe this mod aint for me

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic