icon

Dual-Zone Proximity on RSX3.5

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
miata06 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I had a Clifford RSX3.5 professionally installed on our new Miata. Since that car is a convertible I wanted a dual-zone proximity detector for when we park the car with the top down. Although our RSX3.5 was profesionally installed, it was only a first or second RSX3.5 install for this particular dealer who is just getting into that side of the automotive service market. Our installer simply replaced the shock sensor with the proximity detector. I incorrectly assumed both would be installed. What is the standard way to install a dual zone proximity detector?
Also, he didn't install a trunk switch for fear of rust around the switch hole. His rationale at the time was that the proximity detector would make that switch redundant. As it turns out the trunk is currently not protected. The proximity detector radiates a circular zone of coverage, not an oblong zone to match the oblong shape of the car. By the time we increase the proximity detector's circular zone of coverage to also cover the trunk area, that circular trigger-zone happens to move several feet beyond the passenger's doors. We want neither of these two coverage scenarios with our proximity detector.
So, how would you seasoned pro's hook up a Clifford RSX3.5 to a tiny convertible using a proximity detector? Is there a way to have the proximity detector as an auxillary zone or input that can be easily enabled/disabled by the end user? Would love to keep the proximity detector disabled unless we are parking the car with the top down. Our installer is ammenable to the idea of doing a bit of rework or debugging. We both agreed to his learning curve up front, by the way.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!    
forklift 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
I would install a toggle switch on the red power wire of the prox sensor so it can be turned off. Id also install either a mercury switch or a waterproof  pin with some silicone in the threads(hoping it makes a good ground)
hoping I pass the 1st class for the first time on 5-18-6, wish me luck!
forklift 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
and btw, you can get around prox sensors , Id have him reinstall the shock sensor also. Every layer of protection you have means more theives have to get around
hoping I pass the 1st class for the first time on 5-18-6, wish me luck!
miata06 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, forklift. One of the Clifford systems even allows you to change the sensitivity of at least one sensor from the remote. I don't know if my RSX3.5 supports that feature, though. And if it did, I don't know if that sensor could be completely turned off from the remote.
I agree that the shock sensor adds another layer of protection and I think I'm going to ask that it goes back in. These changes sound simple enough that my first thought was to just do them myself. However, on second thought I think I will let our installer make the changes for the sake of our warranty, and also because he was forthright enough to tell me right up front that this was one of their first alarm systems after Clifford training. That kind of honesty seems a rare thing in this day and age. The rest of the work he did on the car was absolutely meticulous---enough to make we want to take our cars in there for other service.
Again, thanks.       
miata06 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at the Clifford installation guide in PDF format. It looks like I can just have my installer put the shock sensor on zone one and the prox detector on zone two.
Then when I hit the lock button on the remote one time, the entire alarm system is armed. However, if I hit that same lock button a second time within five seconds, our prox detector on zone two would be completely bypassed---which is exactly what we want.
Are there any disadvantages of putting a mercury switch somewhere on the trunk lid? I can't think of any.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
i thought the 3.5 had extra multiplex inputs for additional dual zone sensors.
i think your installer just didn't wanna run a cable to the rear of the car and drill a hole.
he can drill the hole and use a grease to prevent rust.
Did he put a hood pin on?   if so was he not afraid to get rust there
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
miata06 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, Powermyster. The cable run isn't the problem on this car. It's a small car with an easy run from trunk to dash console. And that RSX3.5 does have three two-stage multiplexed inputs. Those two really are the easy part of the equation. So easy that I even considered doing it myself.
"Perfectionist car buff" is how I'd describe my installer (Cars Plus in Westmont, Illinois). I'm not quite the car buff he is. However, when I looked at the 2006 MX-5 Miata trunk-lid rim area, I could see his hesitancy in wanting to mount a pin switch there. Mazda got this little 2-seat roadster down to not much over 2,000 pounds in weight. That means light gauge everything, including light-gauge trunk lid, delicate rubber seal, etc. I may just ask him to go with a pin switch anyway, although I think placement is going to be extremely difficult.
I did see where mercury switches are no longer favored for environmental reasons. What about mounting the two-stage shock sensor in the trunk area? That way if someone pops the lid with a crow bar, the shock sensor should trigger. I get some trunk protection that way as well as having the shock sensor back in the scheme of things.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
use a magnetic read switch
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
ringojam 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
There is nothing wrong with a mercury switch for the trunk. scre#@$$%^& enviormentional issues you need protection to the trunk area, An additional sensor added to the 3.5 is childs play i do it all the time you need both sensors.
Jamaica home of the worlds fastest man.
miata06 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Okay. I think we've established that the shock sensor should go back on. So the prox detector will report to zone 2 (and show up sensor 1 on my remote), the shock sensor will report to zone 4 (and show up as sensor 2 on my remote). That way I can easily bypass the prox detector with only two clicks of the lock button using the progressive arming feature.
Still have to do something about the trunk lid. What do you guys think of hooking up a DEI 507 tilt sensor to the underside of my trunk lid? Hooked up to the MUX'ed trunk input it will also report to zone 4 (and show up as trunk sensor on my remote). If someone raises the trunk lid the 507 tilt sensor should trigger. If someone jacks up the car, the 507 tilt sensor once again triggers. Sounds like two additional layers of protection instead of one.
Will this work?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic