icon

How much for custom fiberglass subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smurphalurph 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
in my opinion* I wouldnt recommend something like that for a first timer. I would start with something smaller until you get the feel for glassing. Then youll understand why people charge so much. But so much more comes into play like what kind of subs and their measurements. If your goin for looks, sound, or both than it can be pretty complicated. But Good Luck and Happy Sanding.
When you do things right, people won't realize you've done anything at all.
Black Dak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I used to think the same thing, but not anymore.  I just dived right into a pretty extensive project for my first time fiberglassing.  I am learning how to handle this stuff quickly and my project is coming out great!
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
As you see, there is not an answer.  Well there are at least partial answers.  Everything depends on everything.  But in my assessment to cost, a single 1 cubic foot box constructed of  fiber glass would cost around $50.  This should be understood there is a waste factor (you wont be using the full sheet of MDF, or every ounce of FG mat/cloth, or the full can of resin).  It should be obvious that this price is if you already have the tooling...including the small things such as gloves, stir sticks, brushes....everything.   I think if you really want to know, you should provide more detail and or nature of the construction you require.  What car is it for?  Also, just so everyone knows, are you talking about the spare tire-well, or the wheel-wells?
nicholas moffet 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
I am talking about these          http:/cardomain.com/ride/2123183/2    These were very difficult to build. Matching the angles and design was difficult because the wheel wells were of different shapes. So it took some time to come up with the design,
nicholas moffet 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
nicholas moffet 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  

bump

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.