icon

subwoofer wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ugotjewed247 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 dual 4ohm subs i wired them down to 2 ohms now i have to load them in a box that has 2 binging post but i have a 1ohm mono amp how should i wire it so the subs are at 1 ohm and both binding posts are used
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

You have two 2-ohm subs (with coils in parallel).  A sub gets wired to each binding post on the box.  Binding posts must not be electrically connected to each other.  Now if your mono amp has double terminals wire from one post to one set of terminals; the other post to the other set.  If the amp has only one set of terminals, double up the wiring at the amp.

If the box binding posts are electrically connected to each other, run one set of wires from one set of posts to one set of terminals at the amp.  Alternative, if you want two sets of wires from box to amp:  connect both subs to one binding post.  On the outside of the box, run two sets of wires to the amp.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ugotjewed247 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
hye how would i double up on the wiring??
its a 1ohm stable mono amp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Just connect all the positives together and all the negatives together and you will have a 1 ohm load.  But I don't get how you have them wired at 2 ohms now.  Is it wired 2 ohms stereo?  Because you can't have a 2 ohm bridged load while using all the voice coils.
ugotjewed247 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
i have them in paraleel

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic