icon

Phoenix gold X12D2?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jesster 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing a system in my boat and have a few questions.

After running a number of scenarios on WinISD I have come to the conclusion I want the best of both worlds. I have a PG 600.1 sub amp can I

1. Run 2 subs with different enclosures (1 ported to hit) (one vented for SQ)?

2. The manual for the subs lists Re at 3.49 the web site says 3.63 which to use?

3. Is the Re given the Re of 1 VC or both?

4. What do I enter for Re, Voicecoils, and connection in driver editor?

5. What would I put in Signal Source, series resistance?

6. The Subs are rated at 500W RMS is the amp going to give them enough power at 300W per speaker?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. WinISD is awesome..... :)

jesster 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I forgot to enter sub info. Subs are Dual 2ohm VC :)
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of vented box are you planning on putting them in? Because it looks like those subs are made to be put in a sealed enclosure. So that would be my suggestion - just build one good sealed enclosure.
jesster 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

boardinbum wrote:
What kind of vented box are you planning on putting them in? Because it looks like those subs are made to be put in a sealed enclosure. So that would be my suggestion - just build one good sealed enclosure.

Actually, I decided today to not do a vented enclosure but maybe 2 sealed enclosures. one enclosure at .9 ft^3 and one at about 2.5 ft^3. Looking at the graph with the larger enclosure the curve hits the -3db line at 28.6Hz and the smaller at 43Hz. I am still new to this though so if you think I would be better off running them the same let me know.

Any answers to the other questions posted?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Bad idea, real bad idea. Put both subs in similar boxes.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ohh.... Heh, I see what you meant now. I thought you meant have two seperate enclosures. One to load the drivers in for daily driving then one to put them in for spl. Not run them in different boxes at the same time.
Take a look at your owner's manual for those subs and see what the recommended sealed box volume is.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  

The Re given on either source is close enough.  They could have been measured from two different sets of subs.  The Re examples you gave are for two DVC 2 ohm drivers connected in series, as the Re of a single 2 ohm coil would be approx. 1.6 ohms.  This is an indication that they are giving parameters with two coils wired in series, so you would look at 'Znom' after the editor is filled out and make sure it is corrected to read 4 ohms.

Look at the driver's manual.  It gives you a listing under "Musical" (you don't want SPL on your boat) for both sealed and vented enclosures.  2.2 ft^3 sealed, vented is 3.2 ft^3 with a 3" round port at 11.2" long.  The manual also tells you that the driver displacement has already been allowed for with those volumes.

You can use these recommendations as a guide and look at them in the WinISD program.  As said above, decide on one type - sealed or vented - and use it for both so they are the same (there is no such thing as "best of both worlds" in this case).  Use the program's Help sections to find out about those specific questions you asked above.  Signal is the power that will be applied to the woofer so you can check the port velocity chart to find out if you are getting port noise.  In your case you have indicated 300 watts of power.  Series resistance...leave it blank.  In the driver editor, enter the parameters as given by the manufacturer.  So if they are giving you parameters of two coils wired in series, enter them as given and then select 'two coils in series'.

And, the sub is capable of 500 watts continuous but it will perform just fine with 300 watts.  The difference in output would be less than 3 db.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jesster 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. I am going to see if I have enough room to do the 4.4 ft^3 box for both subs. From what I have read I may be able to shave 1-2 tenths off that size?

One question for stevdart, why not SPL in a boat? To clarify a little it will be open air, their is no cabin or cuddy or anything.

I was originally leaning toward SPL because of the open air environment thinking SQ would be lost in such an environment. But I will leave it to the experts on that one.

One last question, the program deviates some from PG as far as optimum sizes go, should I use WinISD or PG reccomendations? Thanks again for the info.

2006 28Ft American Offshore
Sony CDX-M7815X
XM
2 Kicker KX850.4
1 PG X600.1
2 PG X12D2 subs
4 Polk MOMO 650
4 Polk MOMO 690
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  

1.  SPL is a specific way of setting up subwoofers so that the output couples with the vehicle for loudest...read "unmusical" ...output.  Having loud subs is not the same as having an SPL setup.  Do you want your shipmates to jump ship when that 45 Hz note blares 2X louder than the rest of the frequency spectrum?

2.  As long as you are understanding the program and have everything entered right, use it over the recommendations.  Those recommendations are to satisfy the majority of buyers inasfar as box size and simplicity.  So oftentimes the enclosure can be made larger for better sound and output.  But keep it in mind nevertheless.  And especially when you are powering the subs at less than the rated RMS, the larger enclosure allows them to be more efficient with less input power.  You're certainly not strapped for space on deck.

What you will not have, in any case in an open-air environment, is "cabin gain".  This is where the subs couple with the acoustics of the enclosure that you are within (as in a car or a livingroom) and increase the decibel level within a fairly broad range.  Instead, you will be relying on the sub output at the cone itself, so positioning of the subs should be approached in an  experimental manner.

It's a kind of a "see how it goes" thing on the deck of a boat.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic