icon

strange happenings after redoing grounds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
this weekend I fully dynamatted my trunk, and in the process I decided to redo my grounds on my caps and amp. I substantially shortened and sandpapered the grounding points down to the bare metal. Now after everything has been re-setup, my amplifier gain needs to be set higher, and my head unit volume is louder at a lower setting (before it was loud @ 23, now its loud at 17) I checked the voltage at my amp and it reads about 14.1v, when before it was around 13.4v-13.6. Does this make sense to anyone?
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
My last post didn't work, but I'll try again.  Is this causing any problems?  Do your amps run hotter?  Do you notice any sound quality problems?  If not, then don't worry about it.  Things always change when you mess around with your system.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you made the circuit more efficient. The easier it is for power to get to an amp, the easier it is for the amp to make power. To fully understand what you have done, read the what is a proper ground sticky.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
The part that does not make sense is that the head unit itself is louder, but that you also needed to increase the amp gains.  Could it be that you are using test tones and setting it correctly now whereas it wasn't set correctly before?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
wouldn't making the system more efficient reult in possibly turning down the gain as the amp can produce more power? I was thinking that the head unit being louder was a result of mor efficiency. The sub seems alot quieter now also, i am wondering if one of the voice coil wires came loose while moving the box, and now it has a higher impedence. I will check with a v/ohm meter. Thanks for the replies
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I just checked the impedence on my sub and it is still the same 2-ohm load. No im really confused.....
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
I have verified all grounds, wiring, etc. and everything is better then it was before yet my sub hits nowhere near as hard as it used too. Could dynamatting my trunk cause a sub to hit weaker?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Usually sound deadening the trunk makes the sub sound  a little louder as you are keeping the bass in and road noise out.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

mech3 wrote:
I have verified all grounds, wiring, etc. and everything is better then it was before yet my sub hits nowhere near as hard as it used too. Could dynamatting my trunk cause a sub to hit weaker?

it make the bass weaker, but outside the car, not in the car.

Shaking The Neighborhood
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Aruman wrote:

it make the bass weaker, but outside the car, not in the car.

If that was the case I would be happy, but it hits around 20-30% weaker then it did before and it has me real confused. All voltages are up, yet the bass is weaker. And as I stated before my head unit is also louder. It just doesent make any sense.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic