the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

strange happenings after redoing grounds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Did you apply sound deadner to the back of your rear seat? Rear deck lid? If you did the back seat this could account for you lost bass.
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

xtremej wrote:
Did you apply sound deadner to the back of your rear seat? Rear deck lid? If you did the back seat this could account for you lost bass.

I did do the bottom of the rear deck lid, but not the backseat. Do you think this would do it?

xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
You may have lost some by dynamating the deck lid. I would make sure the gains areset properly also.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
I am contemplating removing the dyamat from the rear deck , I just dont want to remove it and have the bass be the same and waste the dynamat
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
It looks like it was the dynamat on the rear deck. I pulled my sub box forward so the more air can travel from the trunk to the cab of ther car and it got louder.
xtremej 
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Yeah, thanks alot. I wouldn't of thought that dynamatting the rear deck would have made such a difference. Off Topic, could anyone reccomend a good test tone cd with different frequencies for setting an amp up. (whether free or to be purchased)

Thanks

mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

After dynamatting my trunk and re-doing grounds i have had to turn the gain up on my amp substantially to get the same level of bass. I recently noticed whle driving at night that whenever I turned the volume up, my lights would dim very noticeably every time the bass hit. I re-did my amp ground again and verified that both the ground on my amp and the ground on my caps was optimum, following the procedures from the sticky, and the both tested great. So I am wondering if turning the gain up on my amp is causing more of a draw on my electrical system causing the dimming of the lights, or have my caps gone bad ( as the lights never dimmed until I redid the grounds). I have sufficient voltage at both the caps and the amp (14.1v-14.2v). My system is as follows, i have a stock alternator and battery with 4-gauge ran to the trunk where it connects to 2 fosgate 1/2 farad caps, then goes to my mtx thunder ta7402 amp, which powers my single 12" kicker L7 sub ran in a 2-ohm bridged configuration. I am thinking of either replacing my caps with a 5 or 10 farad cap, or getting an optima battery. Actually I will probably eventually do both, but I was plaaning on starting with the caps unless you think it would be more benefiial to do battery first.

Thanks

zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like the amp is drawing more current with the gain turned up and is overworking the alternator.  I don't think the caps are going to solve your problem.  Sounds like a HO alt. might be in order.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Forget the caps. Do the "big 3" upgrade to your wiring from battery, alternator and ground. Set the gain the way it should be. you might end up needing a HO alternator, but try these things first.
'85 Toy
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic