icon

wiring 3 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nxtgenaud 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
ok i have 3 kicker comp vr subs and a sony 1200watt 2 channel amp how do i wire the three subs to a 2 channel amp? can it be done? i understand the wiring for the subs but i dont understand from the subs to the 2 channel amp. thanks in advance. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Post the exact model #s of the subs and the amp, links would be even better.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
In every case, a three-sub combination would have to be wired to a two channel amp in bridged fashion.  After the subs are connected, there will be one positive connection to the amp and one negative. Those pos and neg wires could both come off the same sub or from two different subs, according to how the subs are connected to each other...as you can see by inputting your subs in the  woofer wiring wizard .
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Perhaps Steve was not quite awake this morning when he posted. I know I am still doing the morning squint right now. In every case a 3 subs system does not need to be wired to a 2 channel amp that is bridged. I could also take the subs are wire them in parallel to a 2 channel amp in stereo as well (and done before successfully with them still playing today). It is about the load that the amp sees from the subs.

Option 1 (parallel/parallel) = 1 ohm load

Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono

wiring 3 subs -- posted image.
prophesybh 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
The problem there would be is sony doesn't have a 1 ohm amp(we'll atleast not one that powerful)
Don't Ask Questions When You Already Know The Answer!!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Rob, I'm still wide awake  wiring 3 subs -- posted image.  But I can't envision any configuration of three of the same sub, and with the proper purpose of giving an equal amount of power to each of the three subs and to each coil, where splitting them to two channels will benefit you over bridging the load in its entirety.  SVCs are ruled out as there is an uneven number of coils.  That leaves DVCs, in which we could look at DVCs 2, 4 and 6 ohm. 

I don't see a case among any of those three where splitting coils to separate channels gives you a safe load on the amp that you couldn't achieve by bridging the subs wired among themselves according to the diagrams.  And/or,  you could achieve the lower safe load by bridging.  And given that "safe load" is 4 ohms minimum bridged load and 2 ohm minimum stereo load as this thread refers to.

Or are you saying that you can, in some of these scenarios, equal the load on the amp by doing all this splitting of coils and wiring in stereo (thus bridging isn't necessary)?  Or that you could put a lighter, higher impedance load on the amp because of power restrictions?

So I should never say "never", or "in every case".  But certainly in this case, as I indicated that it didn't matter which coil configuration subs he had for what I said to be true.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
I was drawing the generalization in the post Steve. Reading the thread as a noob, I read it as it cannot be done, when indeed it can\ if the circumstances warrant.  As it pertains to this thread, you are correct. As it pertains in general, the pic is there to show someone that it can be done.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic