icon

8 gauge amp kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
longhorn450 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
Is an 8 Gauge Audiopipe Amp Install kit enough for  800watts rms to one 700watt rms sub?  I already bought it and have heard different things..
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
No, you need a bare minimum a 4 gauge kit. If its a true 800 watts rms you might want to consider a 2 gauge kit. It really depends on what brand it is as some greatly over rate their products.
longhorn450 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
Kind of a bitter sweet answer...8 gauge amp kit -- posted image.    Is Audiopipe a reputable brand?
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Not really. In my findings they are on the low end side. There are fuses in the side of the amp total up the amperage of them and multiply by 13.8. This will give you the max rms its possible to pull in a perfect world.
longhorn450 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
What would be a good brand to go with on the wiring kit?
xtremej 
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
I try to stick with Tsunami or Stinger. I know there are other good ones out there but I prefer these 2. 1 last tip when you look at install kits price is always a concern but look at the contents, I have seen some that have really crappy fuse holders.  On bigger guage installs anl fuse holders are a bare minimum. Hope this helps you out.
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
I Like KnuKonceptz....
and they are local for me so shipping is lickety quick.. and they have fast shipping everywhere too tho :D
Which amp are you going to be hooking this up to? that may sway my answer...
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
longhorn450 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Audiobahn A8002T.  i'll be running it at 800 x 1 @ 4ohms into a single Power Acoustik FUBR12 700rms subwoofer.
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
the problem is that your 8 ga might realy be 10 or 12 ga. look at it from the end if the wire(copper part) is around 3/8 in thick you're ok. its getting harder and harder to get real wire these days because disreputable suppliers are cheating on the copper. remember when you could use agc fuses on big amps?? now i can't find any real fuses anymore. we sell tsunami here too and i've noticed that some of thier 4 ga aint 4 ga anymore. sneaky bastids. and longhorn....dude there's nuthin wrong with your stuff. it's like cars would you give someone a hard time for driving a toyota instead of a mercedes? sure thers better stuff out there but so what? 
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
KnuKonceptz advertises the actual mm^2 of their wire.. the 8 awg kit is actually 7.97 according to AWG.. one reason i really like them.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic