icon

Push button start but with no ignition/ke

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
switched power to the ignition and acc, then momentary switch to the starter wire, easy as that.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
noooorb 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yea but what about the wires that have current when in ignition, but no current when the starter is initiated?
I don't think it's as simple as that. I mean the car turns off some circuit when the car is starting to deliver the most power to the starter, correct? I don't think it can just be ignored.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

For a track car it won't matter, as you won't have all the accessories that street cars have.  Also, since its a race car I would imagine its got a newer starter on it, with a battery thats in race shape, so you should be fine without even worrying about the ACC power.

Kevin Pierson
b_sharp 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
noooorb wrote:
I don't think it's as simple as that.
It is not simple.
REQUIREMENTS: IGnition is toggled on/off. STarter is 'momentarily' switched. Safety requires Tach monitoring about 2000 rpms, Neutral Shifter switch, Hood pin so no start with open hood, Brake switch possibly.
DANGEROUS SOLUTION: Relays in latching set/reset configuration to switch switch IGnition. Relay for STarter connection.
SAFE SOLUTION: Logic required to control starting using safe inputs eg Tach, Neutral. Requires 12V CMOS semiconductor chip logic design and high current 20/30Amp relays.
Simplest is buy a cheap, inexpensive remote start module on EBay.
noooorb 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
It's not gonna be an allout track car and I'll be driving back and forth to the track with it so accessories are needed.
b-sharp, correct me if i'm wrong, Aren't all the stuff you mentioned controled by the ecu or some other component and not by the ignition cylinder, which is the only thing I want to bypass.
b_sharp 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you can skip the anti-grind Tach & Neutral safety inputs just like an ignition switch. However, ignition is a special switch where IGnition is 'latched' first, then STart is momentarily pushed.
With Relays, the IGnition wire MUST be latched, aka held connected after STart push button is pressed. When STart is re-pressed, IGnition is disconnected.
In engineering parlance ...
The logic is:
* on *
IG = 0, ST = 0, PB = 0 (PushButton)
IG = 0, ST = 0, PB = 1
IG = 1, ST = 0, PB = 1
IG = 1, ST = 1, PB = 1
* hold til engine start *
IG = 1, ST = 0, PB = 0
* engine running *
* off *
IG = 1, ST = 0, PB = 0
IG = 1, ST = 0, PB = 1
IG = 0, ST = 0, PB = 1
IG = 0, ST = 0, PB = 0
The tricky part is second press of pushbutton to turn IGnition off (reset).
And you MUST guarentee that when ST is cranking, IG is always on, FIRST. Might require a Resistor/Capacitor delay on ST until IG is latched.
Logic semiconductors simplify it. It would require at least one special 12v 'latching' relay.
b_sharp 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ignore the Resister/Capactor delay. That is unnecessary. A fast ignition key turn requires no delay. The starter would just crank until IGnition is ignited.
Relays only: needs one special latching relay (for IG). maybe one or two more relays to handle the logic. Probably could be done with relays only.
b_sharp 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
A SOLUTION
PB____ 0 1 0 1 0
RlyLch B A A B B
RlyIG_ 0 1 1 0 0
RlyAcc 0 1 1 0 0
RlyST_ 0 1 0 0 0
where B = off, A = on
where RlyLch = Latching relay
all other Rly = normal relay
RlyIG = ignition
RlyAcc = accessory
RlyST = starter
Comment
when RlyLch = B, ALL std relays disenergized
when RlyLch = A, RlyIG & RlyAcc are energized
when RlyLch = A, Starter passes both through pushbutton
and RlyST (energized)
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
damn u are making this so much more complicated for him than it actually is b-sharp.  He is not in for the RS, he wants a push button in his vehicle to start it up instead of using the keys.  Ebay's alarms at least most are not great either way. and what they sell them for, I can sell and ship cheaper than most!  They are a ripoff!!!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic