icon

is this enclosure possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah man I made a sphere out of gf using a japanese lantern ball thing.   OOOH MAN! It sucked balls. Sucky sucky sucky. It's one thing to gf something flat or kinda curvy or something. but something totally round. I got flashbacks of kindergarden. It was a big mess. But yeah it's possible.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
thegreatbondini 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
That really looks interesting , Got my wheels to turning, The first thought I had was to mold the inside of an atv tire maybe even fill it with great stuff (expanding foam) cut rubber off after dry and you should have the basic shape.and then just go from there. But as we all know sometimes it takes more than a few thoughts before it works
ashokn225 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
what kind of problems did you run into 5150 azn? And did you end up getting it done? If so, attach a pic. Im now reconsidering this project because of time/experience. Even though using my estimated $350 worth of drivers and amps would sound like a $1500+ sub if done properly, i might just get a $300 HSU.
( someone give me some positive feedback on the project so i get enthusiastic again loll)
eternal1 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like it would be pretty easy to me (this coming from someone who hasnt done fiberglass before) but for a mold i would think make some rings and glue them to a beach ball and a bit of fleece to smooth the rings out should work just fine. after you get the first coat on just deflate the beach ball and pull it out (or cut) usually glue wont stick to plastic to well so the beach ball should pull off the wood if using regular elmers glue. if not just cut it off. if you want the amp mounted on with the speaker think of using it for the base. just remember that if you enclose the amp make sure you invest in some fans to keep it cool.
kelvin--- 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
erm..i m new here..and i reli liked the idea...i think i could build it up wif FG...but my onli prob now were...wut r the measurements i need? as my 12" driver needs 1ft³ to perform properly...can any1 tell me wut diameter sphere should i make for this enclosure?many thanks in advance
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
kelvin--- wrote:
erm..i m new here..and i reli liked the idea...i think i could build it up wif FG...but my onli prob now were...wut r the measurements i need? as my 12" driver needs 1ft³ to perform properly...can any1 tell me wut diameter sphere should i make for this enclosure?many thanks in advance
Kelvin, I think you may be over your head on this one. However if you do plan to go ahead on this more information is needed. The diameter of a perfect sphere with the volume of 1ft³ is 14.88 inches. However, There is more math involved. You need to subtract the volume of the sub you're using (especially important with such a small enclosure volume) also you need to subtract the amount of volume that you had to remove to have a flat surface to mount the sub on. I could mathematically compensate for the driver volume, but that difference in the sphere is beyond my calculus.
kelvin--- 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

grantd..ic..thanks for the info..for now..i m plannin on usin a sphere wif a diameter of 16 inches...which resulted wif a displacement of ard 1.24 ft² ..slightly some extra displacement..and after the removal of the part for the flat surface for the driver..i will do some calculations on tat again..and update here again....

5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
problem #1 was trying to keep the ball from rolling over when you are putting the fg mat on. Also you have to keep the ball from sitting in it's own puddle of fg. I solved this problem by hanging the ball on a string.
Problem #2 when putting fg mat on the ball. The mat would slowly slidedown the side of the ball.
Problem #3 resin rolls down the side of the ball, making a big puddle.
I'll get you a pic later.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
thegreatbondini 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
is this enclosure possible? - Page 2 -- posted image.
kelvin--- 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
5150azn...i m waiting for ur pics...coz it can b used as great reference..hope u wil upload it when u r free
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic