shattering point

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
ottomatic481 wrote:
A good freind of mine had 4, 12" JL's in his chevy s10, and pulling out of a gas station, he turned it up and shattered his back winsheild.. later that month he fixed his window and went to an audio comp and hit at 198, but when the windsheild broke, he was only three quaters.. so maybe 170??
Im gonna hope that this is a joke. If not then its people like this that annoy the hell outta me. Drives me f'ing nuts
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
That is excatly why I love having a Term-lab at my disposal now....I didnt have one when I was trying to startup a shop, but have one now that I run in so many shows per year, haha
But we love to find the Big mouths around town and invite them to a little testing session.     I am still a little weary about having alot of people in my new garage.....but the alarm would wake the neighbors 2 blocks away.
Im hoping to get something to work out in a mini-truck we are working on by the end of next weekend, going to try to get it to the same level as the civic 153db.   I would like more but after 2 failed attempts of getting there its time to go back to the drawing board with an empty template
I have my own personal goals set for the year, and I will only know once I get all the equipment built right and in the car, and the car is running! My plans are over the 160db barriar with less then 1000 watts of 4 ohm rated power   :-)    160.0 was first place last year so I have to bring more then that to USACi finals this year!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
here it is, its a video of a cars window breaking Surestream - 28K to 500K - Requires REAL Player 9 or newer.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know about windows, but here's a video of Scottie Johnson breaking his door: http://www.realmofexcursion.com/images/thumbnails/brands/adire/brahma12.3.wmv

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
I might be mistaken, but didn't Alma Gates blow out the rear glass in the Beast when she was with Kicker?
boosh!!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
She did at a comp, down in florida I think. I know I heard from more than one person, including the kicker rep, that it was a staged blowout though. The way I heard it, and this is completly second hand info so it could be complete BS, is that Alma was paid by kicker to set up the glass to blow out as the event had a lot of people attend that werent nessasarily competitiors but people who were just kinda walking by and were drawn in. If I remember right I think the comp was on the strip by the beach but I could be wrong, this is 5 years ago now. Anyways they, meaning kicker, figured that some people might remember who won but a lot more people would remeber the vehicle that had a stereo so big it blew out its windows, hence the reason for the spectacle. Like I said, this is all rumor but if it was true than I cant diasagree with the logic involved.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
it was a semi staged event.    the lexan was taken out of the frame and normal glass was put back in...it was going to bolw out with out a doubt.
normally around 165db is where the windows in anything will go...but I know of an old S-10 that has been to the 165db mark and kept the factory glass intact!
I know of 3 CRX's that have been over the 160db ,mark and the factory glass has made it a few months but they will typically go out
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
the bigest reason why glass does crack or shatter is becuse there is a chip or crack forming in the glass already. a brand new windsheild would be very hard to shatter even at 165db, but that is at the point were it happends. also if it is cold likein the winter you can crack your glass.
thatboytonyton 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know how to figure out just how many dbs your system puts out? Before i had all these friggin problems, my poor little truck (Ranger XLT) would rumble like crazy.
Its Plum!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic