icon

Making LED taillights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hakosuka 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

thought it would  be cool to make some led taillights for my bros skyline.  i already took apart the headlights, and made fiberglass cutouts to hold the leds.  im gonna put two sets of 8 for each bulb. one set for lights and another for brake lights.  ive drilled holes for the leds in the blinkers and im waiting for the leds to arrive, not sure how long that will take.  hope to have pics up soon.  anyone see anything wrong with what im doing?

hakosuka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
meant to say taillights not headlights..
pyro_527 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

I believe that there is a minimum amount of lumens required by regulations.  At least there is for headlights (7000 I think).  You may want to research that to make sure you meet the standards.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come to you quicker....
hakosuka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

well heres my progress so far.  the pic of the leds lit up was my prototype light...very bright

Making LED taillights -- posted image.

the blinker

stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
What size LEDs are you using? They look like high output 10mm's in the picture.
hakosuka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
theyre 5mm leds, but i think the stock lense might diffuse the light a little and make them look a little bigger
mark111 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
hakosuka,
Fantastic!Looks great!
Could you pls enlighten me the wiring diagram and other relevant to build similar lightings for my car pls.
Many thx.
hakosuka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
not really too good with led diagrams, but pretty much i just used simple addition, and it seemed to work. ex. i have 3v leds, so i wired 4 of those in series, which i geuss equals 12v.  then i just added the clusters of 4 leds and wired them in parallel.  not too  sure if its the right way, but it seems to work the same.  also i just wired one set to be lit up with the lights and a second set to come on when the brakes are on.
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
hakosuka wrote:
not really too good with led diagrams, but pretty much i just used simple addition, and it seemed to work. ex. i have 3v leds, so i wired 4 of those in series, which i geuss equals 12v. then i just added the clusters of 4 leds and wired them in parallel. not too sure if its the right way, but it seems to work the same. also i just wired one set to be lit up with the lights and a second set to come on when the brakes are on.
You are on the right track in your 4 x 3volts = 12 volts theory. Two issues to consider:
1.     the susceptibility of LED’s to inrush current and the resulting premature failure, and
2.     the fact that cars really run on 13.5 -14.5 volts
Both of these facts, as you have it now will result in premature failure of the LED’s. There is a quick and easy cure for both problems. You have to add a resistor in series with EACH STRING OF 4 LED’s. Quick math puts that resistor in the 60 -100 ohm range and can be ¼ watt. This will help drop the voltage AND limit the current inrush.
Keep up the experimenting!
mark111 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
stealthone wrote:
hakosuka wrote:
not really too good with led diagrams, but pretty much i just used simple addition, and it seemed to work. ex. i have 3v leds, so i wired 4 of those in series, which i geuss equals 12v. then i just added the clusters of 4 leds and wired them in parallel. not too sure if its the right way, but it seems to work the same. also i just wired one set to be lit up with the lights and a second set to come on when the brakes are on.
You are on the right track in your 4 x 3volts = 12 volts theory. Two issues to consider:
1.     the susceptibility of LED’s to inrush current and the resulting premature failure, and
2.     the fact that cars really run on 13.5 -14.5 volts
Both of these facts, as you have it now will result in premature failure of the LED’s. There is a quick and easy cure for both problems. You have to add a resistor in series with EACH STRING OF 4 LED’s. Quick math puts that resistor in the 60 -100 ohm range and can be ¼ watt. This will help drop the voltage AND limit the current inrush.
Keep up the experimenting!
Thx for the great info and quick response hakosuka and stealtone.
stealthone,
You meant 1 resistor for each set of four leds in a series to the positive wire?
So for the case of hakosuka project as above,only need 2 resistors of 60-100ohm 1/4 watters?
Sorry not a pro just an amateur trying to learn stuff from you guys.
Many thx for inputs.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic