icon

Making LED taillights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eazy-e 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Quick question, where are you guys getting your led's from? ive worked with leds before but never something like buildin a rear taillight seems like something i would love to try since i have a spare set laying around, im guessing 5mm is a good size, but how do i tell how intense the light is going to be? I know that the leds that come wit alarms are about 3v in terms of power but they are nowhere near as bright as those, maybe someone can point me in the right direction or kinda break it down for me while i go do a little research on my own.
kardain 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like the O/P is using loose LED's. I started that route, but ended up getting too complex as I was going with quantity over quality.
I decided to go with some preassembled LED lights. The amber one is a bullet marker from a big rig that I stripped the lens from, and the red one is a tail/brake, also from a big rig.
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
eazy-e wrote:
Quick question, where are you guys getting your led's from? ive worked with leds before but never something like buildin a rear taillight seems like something i would love to try since i have a spare set laying around, im guessing 5mm is a good size, but how do i tell how intense the light is going to be? I know that the leds that come wit alarms are about 3v in terms of power but they are nowhere near as bright as those, maybe someone can point me in the right direction or kinda break it down for me while i go do a little research on my own.
ebay!! They have everything up to Lumiled III's on there.
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
eazy-e wrote:
Eazy-E
The BASICS:
1. Match the LED color to the LENS color - that way there will be no illumination loss through changing color wavelengths
2. Yellow & Red LED's forward voltage drop is 1.8-2.4 volts giving you an average 2 volts per LED (6 in series equals 12volt (10.8-14.4v working range))
3. Blue & White LED's forward voltage drop is 2.4-3.5 volts giving you an average 3 volts per LED (4 in series equals 12 volt (9.6-14.0v working range))
4. Always put a current limiter (resistor) in each series of LED's in both of the above cases 60 ohm 1/4 watt works fine for car use
5. You can parallel as many of the above series as you like (or will fit the enclosure)
Hope that answers your questions
hakosuka 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
ya, make sure you use the resistors. i tested mine out and the ones i wired in series didnt have any resistors and burnt out. now i gotta pull the taillight apart again and put in new leds with a resistor this time. thought itd be easier to leave it out but it just made more work for me.
rutcgr18 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

here is the guy i have been using.  Great LEDS i am a vol fireman and have building my own LED waring lights.  Great product.  I want to fully convert my 99 jeep cheroke to LED of cours not the headlights but everthing else.

http://stores.ebay.com/Chi-Wing-LED-product-shop

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic