icon

HO Alternator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
 guys, i'm in a little situation here, and i want to check with you guys what i should do before i do something.
I'm planning to buy a HO Alternator, and i'm thinking about Ohio the reason why a choose Ohio is because they are very respectable and i have bad experience with other brand like Iraggi. but the problem is that the highest amperes Ohio Gen make for my car type(Toyota Corolla 2001 japanese style) is 160 Amperes Max and 75Amperes at Idle and since i have 1x MTX TA81001 160 amperes and 1x MTX TA3404 50Amperes and i'm also planning to install some Neon Light and some dvd monitors in the future, it will not be enought, other people told me to go with it others not, and the most important for me was the amperes at Idle, so guy what should i do, go for it or no? what do you guys recommend me? anyways, thnx a lot, Aruman.
Shaking The Neighborhood
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
I would reccomend getting out some cardboard and making templates of what it would take to fit a Large case GM style alternator on your car, if you want to most bang for the buck.
Typically it will take very little modification to fit a large alternator onto a smaller car, but I do not know your car very well.
I know you can fit a large case on a honda CRX and Honda civic with very very little modification.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
adix5689 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 honda civic.  The biggest alternator I can get is a 170amps. Does anybody know if If there is a 200amp alternator for my car.   If I do some modification is there any other alternators out there that I can put in my car besides the ones made specificlly for my car.   I currently have one alpine mrd-m1005 and one mra-f350.  The current draw is about 60amps. When I turn the ac and headlights on the voltage reading drops to 13volts.  This reading is only at idle. I would like to add a couple of monitors, neon , and a dvd player later on. 
Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Jeff, here's the pic of my car's motor.

i doubt i can fit a larger case GM style Alt in it, i think i'll go with the Ohio, i don't know what's the higher Idle Amperes i can get from of Excessive Amperage. anyways, thanks a again Jeff.

HO Alternator? - Last Post -- posted image.

Shaking The Neighborhood
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
That's pretty tight in there, but I bet you could get one in there. Go to a junk yard and buy a junk alt that is the same size as that Ohio. Then do some fab work to see if you can mount it. If you can, then order that Ohio. If you can't, you only spent a few dollars on that junk alt. I think you can do it. remember to upgrade your grounds and power wire's. See "The Big 3"  I think you could move your radiator over out of the way to. You pic does not show the left side of your car so I can be sure                    
Big Dave
Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
thanks SpeedW. no the Ohio can fit nicely, but since it's putting only 75A at Idle and 160A at max it will not be enough, the Idle Amperes is what is more important for me. if i can get one that put higher Amperes at idle it will be fine in my case.
I've already done the Big 3 as you can see in the pic. the white color 1/0awg cable in front of the Alt. the Alt you see in the pic is an Iraggi Alt. that supose to give me 120A at idle and 160A max, but when they test it for me, it's putting only 54A, so i have bad experience with Iraggi and that's why i'm thinking about an respectable brand like Ohio but again, there start another problem the not enought current at idle. anyways, thanks SpeedW.
Shaking The Neighborhood
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

Even though your amps will pull more amperage than the alternator can produce, they will only pull those numbers at full volume during musical peaks. So unless you have the volume at a 100% all the time, I think the 160 amp alt will work.

Aruman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
yep Dwarren your are right, and i can't play it at full volume all the time because i will be deaf if i do that. so Dwarren it should be fine to go with it, right? anyways, thanks Dwarren.
Shaking The Neighborhood

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic