DIY Sunroof

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I don't think I want to do this anytime soon, but one day... I want to cut a huge hole out of my roof and rig up some system so water can't get in. I figure there has to be some reliable way to seal it off, but quicker than screws. Any suggestions?
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

what tha......????!!!!!!   Yeah, use anything, a hacksaw, jigsaw, sawsall, plasma cutter, torch....Axe, machette......Just kidding!  And I hope you are too.  I appearantly dont know your motive to your fabrication.  Are you going to have just a.....hole?  Or, are you wanting to have a functional sunroof? 

After reading your post for the eleventh time, are you wanting a ceiling hole, but have it to where it can be covered quickly in case of rain? 

Ill wait on your answer before I go further.....anyone else understand what he wants?

If your wanting a sunroof and fabricate it yourself, I have your plan.  Let us know.

mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
haha Of course in the ceiling. Along the lines of a rounded rectangle. I should have been more specific, but I wasn't. Its a jeep liberty, and a huge sunroof hole would be pretty nice. I'd use a reciprocating saw, and fiberglass the edges t accomodate some kind of plexiglass ro something to make a temporary roof.
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
primal impulse 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I would so love to see someone take a machete to their roof! I wanna meet the guy that uses those types of fabrication techniques! And here I am, bitchin at my friends for using inferior tools! lol
Hustle, Loyalty, Respect
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

LOL, looks like you found the closest of your friends right here Primal Impulse!!!!!  I just want to see someone hack up a Jeep Liberty!!!! ...And this guy, Mini14 has one!  Im going to try talking him into using the machette. 

Ok, got a brainstorm, Im thinking....Jurasic-Park-Ford-Explorer-like Clear plexiglass roof.  Gut the ceiling of its covering components, remove the interior lighting and its wiriing.  Counsel with your nearest acrylic plastic / glass worker facility.  See what they would charge to fabricate a open ceiling from acrylic.  Because of strength related issues, see what he suggests in requirements for the metal part for bracing.  Being when you cut a hole in any roof, the surrounding areas weaken.  When the acrylic part is fabricated, this is the time to take your interior ceiling and lay the acrylic on top of it.  Center the acrylic on the interior ceiling panel and mark it.  Remove the acrylic, cut the ceiling panel.  Re-install the interior ceiling panel into the Jeep.  The cut-out of the panel is your guide now to cut the metal roof so that you have a.....HOLE, a big one!  Acquire professional advice ahead of time for the best process for installing the acrylic.....such as applying epoxy to the edge of the cut metal roof before installing the "H" channel, or whatever channel they suggest to drop in the acrylic into your roof for the best seal.  Dont forget to trim the interior ceiling panel as well. 

mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
After thinking on it a while, if I ever do this it will be about what you described. Except I want to pop off the acrylic from time to time. I mentioned fiberglass earlier because I want to make a lip for the acrylic so that it would be able to sit in a recess easily. I imagine the acrylic would have some bolts mounted permanantly so that I could have some type of wingnuts on the interior that would secure the acrylic along with some hardcore weatherstripping. Now that you have a huge hole in your roof you have a weaker structure. I was thinking to fabricate a roll cage above the front seats and call it a day. If the jeep flips then at least the driver will be protected! I don't want to mess with motorizing anything, so for simplicity's sake wingnuts should do the job. As for the machete... well you must be insane! lol Any more comments... feel free to post.
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

.........LOL, what?  No machette?  DANG!  Oh well, back to sanity I guess.

Hey, I wanna re-describe a section about the weakened area around the cut-out.  Im not exactly talking about the whole roof.  Im talking about the metal right immediately at where you cut, it will be flimbsy.  I was thinking some re-baring around this area in the form of a frame, weld it to the roof, weld supports from this frame out to the post areas of the whole roof.  Ok, I just made that complicated, but I would hope that it wont end up being an issue because of the weight of that much acrylic.  ...just being concerned for you ahead of time....  You cant leave out these types of possibilities. 

Gotta run......more ideas later...

JD

mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, definitely needs bracing. I was reminded that in Jurassic Park the explorer is similar. The window doesn't pop off, but it can give you a good idea of what to expect.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
you want to put a sunroof? you can, this car doesn't have one before, but now he does, check it out.
Shaking The Neighborhood
primal impulse 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

*standing on top of his car, sawzall in one hand, Torquehead's directions in the other*

DIY Sunroof -- posted image. *crosses fingers as he starts to cut*

Hustle, Loyalty, Respect
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic